Shift by wire?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

Im pondering the ide of attemting a shift by wire setup. Nothing has really been worked out yet accept some brain storming. If any onehas any input thoughts or ideas feel free.

MY idea is only more impresive to me when i think of it conbined with a full throttle shift setup such as hondata. I would seem to me if i had the shift by wire mechanical part figured out wiring up a paddle system for behind the steering wheel would be a sinch. The end result would be some what of a sequential gear box.

up up up/ dwon down down down. though your gonna have to play with the speed of the gear actuation in order to get it to feel right with the clutch being that thers not gonna be any real way to get rid of the clutch with out major rethinking of the iter gear box/ trany itself (as a hole) as apose to adapting my idea.

Ps. is this even and interesting concept for any one?

Quoted post[/post]]
why not just figure out how the italian companies do it?

I know how they do it........ the transmission, houseing, gears etc etc are all engineerd around the concept. This wouldint (in build) be anything like the high end systems on BMW, lexus etc.. Just hopefully a well designed system that will adapt to are transmissions and give the same effect/benifit of the high end stuff. Or a mirror the end result of the high end systems enough to warrent some one building it or buying it.

Sounds like a hell of alot of engineering and mad $$$$. I guess you could use solenoids for gear selection, that wouldn't be too hard. But they pop way too fast to be slamming it into gear. You could go a long way with a pneumatic system, and through the paintball world, there is an endless supply of small/micro pneumatics. You could use a regulator to control speed and strength of a shift.

Too much work/development/money But hey, this is hondaswap afterall, where we dump 8 times the book value into our econoboxes, so whatever.

*edit*

You know, you could use an autococker 3 way in the paddle to activate a ram on the clutch pedal. That would be an easy system to work out and would take care of the clutch for you.. Awww damn.. Now you've done it...

Quoted post[/post]]
Sounds like a hell of alot of engineering and mad $$$$. I guess you could use solenoids for gear selection, that wouldn't be too hard. But they pop way too fast to be slamming it into gear. You could go a long way with a pneumatic system, and through the paintball world, there is an endless supply of small/micro pneumatics. You could use a regulator to control speed and strength of a shift.
This would seem like the way to do it although the engineering of it would be incredible
Quoted post[/post]]
Too much work/development/money But hey, this is hondaswap afterall, where we dump 8 times the book value into our econoboxes, so whatever.
Hells yes
Quoted post[/post]]
*edit*

You know, you could use an autococker 3 way in the paddle to activate a ram on the clutch pedal. That would be an easy system to work out and would take care of the clutch for you.. Awww damn.. Now you've done it...
autocockers are teh awesome for the pnuematics but the pieces to operate on a car would need to be much more substantial.

Quoted post[/post]]
autocockers are teh awesome for the pnuematics but the pieces to operate on a car would need to be much more substantial.

Yeah, but you could use them to actuate the larger rams. Use it for the timing mechanism. But then you'd have to carry a bottle of HPA around with you, and that wouldn't be practical.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Yeah, but you could use them to actuate the larger rams. Use it for the timing mechanism. But then you'd have to carry a bottle of HPA around with you, and that wouldn't be practical.
Not at all practical. I was thinking servos, maybe but thats just another idea that i threw in the hot air thats between my ears.

Back