shift linkage pin

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jdmracer

i am tryin to take out the shift linkage on a b-series trans. does anyone have a good way to get the pin out that connects the shifter rod to the trans. the way the casing is formed the pin is under the casing and hard to reach with a pin or punch. any suggestions would be appreciated.

my trying to get that damn pin out myself, i was just about to post and then you beat me to it, ive been beating at that damn thing all day
heres my list of tries,
tried hitting it with a screwdriver from above
tried tugging on it from under the car
tried hitting it from under the car
tried drilling it out - its too freaking hard, my titaniium bits werent even working
tried tapping it out to thread in a screw and break it loose- metal wouldnt tap its too damn hard

i dont know what there made of but it sucks, i cant get it to budge, if you have any luck please pass it my way and let me know what worked, the haynes manuals all say it should just come out like its no big deal
its bull shit i tell you!!

i just had a new idea, a skinny bolt put through the pin, then thread on a small nutt and use the claw end of a hammmer to try to leverage it out hmm
im gonna try that tommorow

thats easy to say, try crawing under the car and manuvering a hammer and punch

oh yeah remember its not a solid pin so you cant just beat the shit out of it, its rolled steel i think and its a bitch cuz it expands outward and wedges itself in there.

if you have an air compresser go to walmart buy an air chisel about 35.00
it should have a punch with it and the pin will drive right out
and you have an air chisel that is good to use for anything
chris

u suppse that might work too i have a harbor freight and tool right down the street from me, i should be able to get one of those cheap there

i used bolt that was the same size as the pin and a hammer...i was underneath my car with not much clearance...it takes some time but it worked...it was hard for me to begin with but when i got it started, moving it was easy from then on..good luck

get a C-clamp ,socket,and something the size of the roll pin and press it out. just an idea never tried it

the easiest way to do this is to jack up the car pretty damn high, get on your back with a hammer and use a bolt. the best bolt to use is one from the a/c compressor. its about 6" long, and the threadded end goes to a triangle shape (neddle shape maybe is a better word).

the triangle part goes in the pin arear perfect, and the width of the bolt is ideal. 3 solid hits, and its out every time

thanks it just dosent seem that simple when your on your back on the cold wet driveway haha it is a good thing to make you walk away from the car for an hour or so tho hah

yo thanks for all the replies, apparently everyone hates that pin. see ive been trying to do these manuevers even b4 i posted but my only problem is the angle its at. it under the casing and its at a weird angle so none of that shit is working really. ive been put it in like 3rd or fifth and the punch is at a werid as angle and its not actually above. and also it needs to be hit from above so it pops out the bottom correct? thanx for all the help.

Mine always come out and go back in bottom to top, but I have a lift, so it is easy. Spray it down with some liquid wrench or WD40 to loosen the crud that can build up in there too. And be sure to use the right size punch pin, as B said, three hits and it's out, if you're using the right tools.

You hit the pin from the bottom and have it pop out the top. And you put it in from the bottom also.

If your doing a swap, you don't have to remove the linkage from the tranny to pull the engine. It takes a little more manovering but it will come out. I find it is much easier to remove the bitch pin when the tranny is off the car. B, are you sure you used the one for the AC compressor? I always used the ones from the Power steering bracket. Whatever lol.

use a air hammer with a tapered (center punch) attachment 3seconds and its out no matter what angle!!!

done that twice and no probs

Originally posted by MXDesa@Jan 2 2005, 08:54 AM
You hit the pin from the bottom and have it pop out the top. And you put it in from the bottom also.
[post=440074]Quoted post[/post]​

yep.

it goes both ways, but hitting it from the top is just stupid and pretty impossible.

collin: this is the bolt i use.

gallery_1_1_1104724326.jpg

i find that drilling is the least appealing option...absolutely last resort for me. back in the day with no access to air chisel we tried everything and i eventually ended up drilling one out. took four hours and can i say wow drilling upward for that long really, really sucks. now i have a special chisel i always use that is perfectly sized and a 3lb sledge. i agree with pissed when he says jack it up as high as you can safely to give you manuevering room.

drilling this pin out is a horrible idea.

just grab that bolt i posted, a hammer or something liek it (hell, i've used the side of a 1/2 drive socket wrench) and bang it a couple times and out she comes. stop being a pussy and hit the thing :)

Back