Shooting blue and/or orange fire out of exhaust

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DwnShftPrincess

Listen
I gotta a stock D16Y8 w/ intake setup, stage 1 clutch, lightweight flywheel, ngk iridium plugs, and some cheap pipe with no cat.
My car has been spitting fire since earlier this year w/only a pipe, intake, and even w/a cat. Orange fire comes with a loud pop blue fire comes with a deep tone "woooooof"
It happens between accelerating or deccelerating and shifting into higher or lower gears, no matter the rpm or speed. Curious as to why? Will I blow up? How do I make it permanent? I want to make it happen on my 98 mustang.
:driver:

Quoted post[/post]]
Listen
I gotta a stock D16Y8 w/ intake setup, stage 1 clutch, lightweight flywheel, ngk iridium plugs, and some cheap pipe with no cat.
My car has been spitting fire since earlier this year w/only a pipe, intake, and even w/a cat. Orange fire comes with a loud pop blue fire comes with a deep tone "woooooof"
It happens between accelerating or deccelerating and shifting into higher or lower gears, no matter the rpm or speed. Curious as to why? Will I blow up? How do I make it permanent? I want to make it happen on my 98 mustang.
:driver:

caused by the complete absence of back pressure.

Quoted post[/post]]
caused by the complete absence of back pressure.

I doubt it- probably a cylinder not firing and fuel getting thrown straight out the exhaust, then ignited by the exhaust temps and thrown out the rear end as flames.

Something is probably wrong with your ignition, or you're running REALLY rich for some reason. When you lift off the throttle, you're dumping excess fuel through the engine and into the exhaust system where it's igniting and throwing flames.

definitely back firing (fuel that ignites when it hits the exhaust manifold)...couldnt tell you whats causing it...might be spark plugs too cold for your engine. might be bad ignition coil. might be bad wires. might be bad compression on cylinder. ya never really know until you look at it.

Quoted post[/post]]
How do I make it permanent? I want to make it happen on my 98 mustang.
why in the world would you want your car to constantly backfire and shoot flames? when i (and i think this goes for most people who have a brain) see a car backfire all the time, i think to myself, "well goddamn, look at that pile of shit". just some food for thought.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
How do I make it permanent? I want to make it happen on my 98 mustang.
why in the world would you want your car to constantly backfire and shoot flames? when i (and i think this goes for most people who have a brain) see a car backfire all the time, i think to myself, "well goddamn, look at that pile of shit". just some food for thought.
i dunno, i saw a nice Turbo RX7 today that shot some nice lookin flames when shifting. its the Gen. before the FD, iworked on this guys car before. it has the japanese motor swap, and he got the car, did the swap, and didn't even know how to drive stick. he was 16 or 17 and it was his first car. nice ass car though, and fast.

Lol, thats a rotary thing. when you run high boost on those things....it just happends spontaneously...not much you can do about it. usually on those it only happends while up shifting.

beware of this flaming exhaust...

if you are dumping THAT much fuel there's a good chance you could wash down the cylinder walls, ashing down = excess gas removes the oil film from the cylinder wall, thus no lubrication ='ing fucked up motor...

Quoted post[/post]]

FYI: i've seen M5's and other european cars that shoot blue fire out the back and the last thing in my mind is look at that piece of shit. food for thought, i didn't know why it's happening that's why i'm asking. :moon:

Thanks to all of those that have posted USEFUL information and solutions instead of worthless opinions.

With that said, this started when i had the motor replaced in january. i swapped out a d16y8 with 279874 miles on it for a d16y8 with 39861 miles on it. could this be a bad motor? where do i start as to looking for the problem? Thanks in Advance

start by pulling plug wires one at a time with the motor running, if it bogs after removal then that cylinder is firing...

if all cylinders are firing you might want to check your FPR?

do you have a check engine light?

FYI: i've seen M5's and other european cars that shoot blue fire out the back and the last thing in my mind is look at that piece of shit. food for thought, i didn't know why it's happening that's why i'm asking.
bahahaha
there's a huge diffrence between a highly modded M5 shooting flames and lets say my 1981 4 door tercel...
that was a jumping king before i ripped the rear shock towers apart :cry:

Check engine light is on but has been since last year when the first motor was in. It has never turned off. BTW: I didn't remove the cat until february because it became ridiculously clogged and wasn't allowing me to drive.

might wanna check the code. the service connector is usually behind the passenger floor board side pannel. if it has never been checked before, it will be a neon green housing thing (not connected to anything)

pull out the 2 wire plug and jump the holes with a paper clip. When you turn your ignition on (but dont start the engine) your check engine light should blink. Tell us what it blinks

Long blinks = 10
Short Blinks = 1

If there are multiple codes it will wait a few seconds and then blink again

e.g. 2 long blinks and 3 short ones = code 23 (knock sensor) 4 long blinks and 1 short one = 41 (02 Sensor)

Let us know what you get...

Quoted post[/post]]
might wanna check the code. the service connector is usually behind the passenger floor board side pannel. if it has never been checked before, it will be a neon green housing thing (not connected to anything)

pull out the 2 wire plug and jump the holes with a paper clip. When you turn your ignition on (but dont start the engine) your check engine light should blink. Tell us what it blinks

Long blinks = 10
Short Blinks = 1

If there are multiple codes it will wait a few seconds and then blink again

e.g. 2 long blinks and 3 short ones = code 23 (knock sensor) 4 long blinks and 1 short one = 41 (02 Sensor)

Let us know what you get...

i found the green connector but it is connected to another green connector so do i unplug it? Thanks
also, what is the silver connector on the driver side by the hood release for?

the green connector should be plugged into a larger green boot like thing... not actually plugged into any other wires...

the green connector is connected to another green connector with wires on each ends.

gallery_36202_476_29102.jpg

Back