Should I do it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Team_Asterisk

R0T0R WH0R3
Ok, so the other day, my friend mentioned the possibility of being able to get me a B18 with a 5 speed manual for about $300, but it would need to be rebuilt. Now, I'm confident about rebuilding a rotary engine, but a B18, not so much.

With a rotary, no matter how scared everyone is of them, you just buy a kit, seals, new or good used rotor housings, do a shitload of meticulous cleaning, and measuring gaps, and put it all together with a couple wrenches. There is a LOT less moving parts, clearances, pieces in general, and work to be done, IF you know how to do it. There is also no valvetrain to really worry about.

So, I know that #3~400 is a pretty good deal, but, I dont know if I should take him up on it. I'm thinking to just do a "Stock pats" rebuild, no fancy smancy stuff like CP pistons, or forged rods, or Spoon/Mugen parts. However, with this, I will need to invest in a good torque wrench, engine stand, and $$$ for parts needed for the build, as I do not know exactly what happened to it. Maybe it's just "tired" and needs a refresh, maybe it ate pistons/valves, etc.

I will ask for details, but what does a rebuilt B18 + 5spd manual go for these days? Would it be worth it to go through with this?

I wouldn't go straight stock parts. I would use some ARP stuff, maybe some b16/type-r pistons. ARP stuff will make it more reliable. And if you use cast pistons they shouldn't be much more, if any more, expensive then stock, plus they fit right on and will yield more power.

Ok, let's go this way then: about how much would it run me to bebuild an non vtec B18? Again, a normal rebuild (parts, outsourced labor, time) with no major modification, but perhaps some good quality pistons would make sense. Thanks.

Meh... well, I figure I'll just pick up a used FB3S, and blow my money on that. But I may get a K20 EK6 sometime down the road.^_^

Back