Should i get a header

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm thinking about getting a header for my eg si. Right now i only have an intake and exhaust. So the question is it worth the money to get one. Some guys is selling some no name one "rocketz 4-2-1" for cheap. So i don't know if i should get it. The price is good, but i don't know might just be a waste of my money. Would i notice big gains or not? Also does anyone have any experience with this brand of header??

either save for a B series swap or a turbo manifold for you current engine. I saw save for a trubo manifold if you plan on going turbo... becuase D series are limited to all motor activity... I think

okay,thanks. I guess i will just save the money. I really want to turbo the d series that i have, but it has a high milelage. The egine still runs strong, but burns oil on vtec engagment at higher rpms. compression is about 160 across and leakdown is about 5%. How much do you think it would cost me for a custom turbo setup. I don't really want high boost, just about 4-5 psi.

A friend of mine builds custom turbos using DSM turbo with all custom everything else. Uhmm w/o intercooler 700, w/intercooler 800 + cost for Intercooler.

yep, don't spend money on a header if you're going turbo or swapping. if your motor has high mileage, pull it out, get some stronger rods (i would never turbo a d16 on those pencil thin rods), get some forged pistons if you feel like it, new rings, new rod / main bearings, arp rod bolts and headstuds, and a good cylinder hone.

also a good 3 angle valve sealing job and some serious love (replace water pump / timing belt / oil pump / all seals / gaskets / etc) will help it run like new. then boost away. you'll get real tired of 4psi real quick. build it right the first time. also look into an lsd, as a turbo ff car should definately want one.

basically plan on spending more than you think, if you want to do it right. a nicely done turbo project can actually be pretty expensive. or you could do it dirt cheap like they do on www.homemadeturbo.com . read through their project section, so you can see what happens when you cheap out. but, i do agree with them in that custom kits are definately the way to go. some of them are done nicely, some are built for under $1000 and don't last 2 weeks.

you'll need to upgrade your clutch, fuel injectors, and get some good engine managment - at very least a vafc, or ... hondata :worthy:. i'd plan on spending anywhere from $2000 to $4000 depending on how you can find deals, and how half assed you do it. i have to say it again, cheap, fast, reliable: pick two.

and don't rule out an NA B18 swap just yet. i changed my mind between the 2 at least 43 times, before finally going with the b18c1. it's not in yet, but i've very happy with the decision.

Originally posted by jwn7@Mar 7 2004, 08:17 PM
i have to say it again, cheap, fast, reliable: pick two.

Hhhmmmm :hmm:
Where'd you get that one from??
:kick:

seriously though, what's the performance diff between an SI header and an ITR, besides that one is midrange and the other is high range. I mean what's the flow difference

Back