Shuts down while driving

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jon89rs

Hey guys, hoping to get some help and opinions on what the issue can be. I have a 91 civic hatchback with an ls swap a 93 b18a1. The issue normally happens after i've been driving down the highway or freeway for about more than 30 minutes. The motor then just suddenly shuts off with no sputters or hesitations, as if i just turned the key to turn the car off. (electric problem maybe?) The dashboard lights and stereo do stay on though. After it turns off i have to wait a few minutes to turn it back on. After driving maybe five minutes more it shuts off again. It seems as if some relay or something is heating up and causing the engine to shut off. The longer I let it sit the longer the distance which i can drive the vehicle before it shuts down again. Any ideas as to what specifically can be causing this?

usually the main relay or the igniter in the distributor causes this problem, when they get hot

thanks for the reply. I'm going to go ahead and try changing the main relay first, but had a question concerning that. The relay seems to be the one that was for the hatch, is this fine? doesn't it need to be the relay for the ls engine? (I didn't do the swap)

thanks for the reply. I'm going to go ahead and try changing the main relay first, but had a question concerning that. The relay seems to be the one that was for the hatch, is this fine? doesn't it need to be the relay for the ls engine? (I didn't do the swap)
main relay for the hatch is fine

i got a 90 hatch and sometimes the fuel pump won't kick on and then sometime mine shuts off going down the road too prob with mine is the fuel pump relay on the driver kick panel i need a new one i took my loose from the kick panel and let it hang loose and when it won't start i reach down and smach it and then the fuel pump kicks on you can hear it click when it is working hope this helps

Back