si vs gsr intermediate shaft

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

saturn_boy96

88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R
[edit: uppdated info]

ok here is my setup

b18a1 engine (1991 integra, modified to be obd 1)
1995 gsr tranny
1999 si intermediate shaft
2000 gsr axles

the problem is that the intermediate shaft wont seal with the tranny and it keeps leaking (pouring) out the tranny fluid. i have replaced both seals on the tranny but it keeps on leaking. does any one know for sure that the si and gsr intermediate shafts are the same?

the si one didn't seem to want to work but i used the bolts to suck it onto the block.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 19 2004, 04:14 PM
b16a/b and b18b/c1 half shafts are identical for hydro tranny's
[post=419321]Quoted post[/post]​

unless its cable .. hehe :unsure: but i dont think he would make that mistake

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 19 2004, 04:26 PM
or miss the word HYDRO that i put into that sentence :p
[post=419334]Quoted post[/post]​

yep that could answer alot , im blind

He said he has a b18b engine, but its a b18a block (b18b internals). According to Acuraparts247.com it requires a different half shaft (it lists all the honda part #'s).

you do know they are talking about transmission parts, has nothing to do with the internals.

The only problem that may occur with the b18a block is the holes are in the wrong place. But I'm positive the 94+teg or 99-00 Civic Si itermediate shaft will bolt up properly

Well it doesnt, it has to be forced into place. Also it was stated earlier that cable transmissions use a different half-shaft. And guess what, b18a engines use CABLE trannys. So we're talking about a "cable" block with a "hydro" intermediate shaft which doesnt work.

Hmmm... Are you completely sure. That seems real weird since I have a b18a block with a GSR trans. Guess what, it works.

I had a b18a block the last time with a hydro LS. Guess what, it worked.

unsivil audio is my brother and he knows what he's talking about.

the hydro intermediate shafts don't bolt up to pre-94 b series blocks that's why they require different intermediate shafts.

i'm trying an intermediate shaft for a 93 integra i hope this works.

hydro trans =hydro intermediate shaft- could ask civicious he has a 90 ef converted using a ctr tranny.. ~

Hmmm... Are you completely sure. That seems real weird since I have a b18a block with a GSR trans. Guess what, it works.

I had a b18a block the last time with a hydro LS. Guess what, it worked.

^
^
^

You can't use the 93 itermediate shaft. It uses different axles, there is no axle shaft thing on the axle side. Pretty much one side is female one side is male, the male side goes in the trans and then you have 2 female sides which is completely useless.

The reason you have to use same gen axle halfshaft combos is because of the male/female ends, 90-93 uses and male/male axle, and 94+ uses male/female.

Have you considered the possiblity that you haven't snapped it in past the snap ring? That could produce the problem you are having.

that was what i was trying to say.

The snap ring seems to be the most logical reason it's leaking, unless the halfshaft is chewed up or something's wrong with it.

I don't know what to tell you, check for cracks if you know for sure the halfshaft is in properly.

Perhaps you have an automatic transmission intermediate shaft that isn't actually from a 99 Si, they are totally different.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Nov 21 2004, 06:35 PM
unsivil audio is my brother and he knows what he's talking about.

the hydro intermediate shafts don't bolt up to pre-94 b series blocks that's why they require different intermediate shafts.

i'm trying an intermediate shaft for a 93 integra i hope this works.
[post=420095]Quoted post[/post]​

are you talking about a pre 94 block with a hydro tranny? because i have a b16a (88-91) block with a hydro tranny on it and it works with my 94 integra intermediate shaft. so basically obd0 block obd2 tranny with an obd1 intermediate shaft and it bolts right on

i'm going to convert to 90-93 integra axles. i don't know if this will fix the problem or not.

all i know is that i have replaced the seal on the intermediate shaft twice, and now it leaks worse than it ever has before. it sprayed over 1.5 quarts of tranny fluid in less than 20 miles. i have oil all over the under side of my car.

whats different about the auto tranny intermedate shaft?

also both of the axles are snapped in to their snap rings.

I don't know what the difference is between auto and manual but I know it won't work. If it's spewing tranny fluid/oil from the halfshaft side then destroying a 90-93 axle is worthless, it never actually touches the transmission. If it's spewing from the other side then there's something else wrong.

Just get another IM shaft and see if that solves your problem, if it still leaks badly there's something wrong with your trans. Then it would be a good time to get either a better trans or a brand spanking new Quaife LSD.

Back