Simple question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NightRyder

Hey everyone,

I have a 95 civic with a b16 VTEC motor that came out of a 95 Del Sol VTEC. I am currently running a stock p28 ecu, is this the correct ecu for my application. I read online that the stock p28 is for the Del Sol Si which only has about 125 hp and the Del Sol VTEC has 160.

1. Should I be running a different ecu other than the stock p28?
2. Does the stock p28 also work for the Del Sol VTEC?

Thanks for your help in advance...

Either....
1) Socket that p28 that you have, and get someone to burn a stock p30 map for you to put in the p28.
2) Socket the p28, and have someone tune a custom map for you based on a p30 basemap.
3) Buy a stock p30 ecu.

The p30 is the right ecu for your application. The p28 will run the car too lean.

Either....
1) Socket that p28 that you have, and get someone to burn a stock p30 map for you to put in the p28.
2) Socket the p28, and have someone tune a custom map for you based on a p30 basemap.
3) Buy a stock p30 ecu.

The p30 is the right ecu for your application. The p28 will run the car too lean.
Socket the p28, and I'll burn you a p30 chip for it. ($10 shipped)
Finding a p30 (the right ecu) is somewhat rare.
A stock p30 or a chipped p28+p30 chip will run your the correct way.
A stock p28 will not.

Also, what does it mean to "socket" my p28?

I have another "performance" chip for my p28, i think its the Mugen program but it runs way too rich. I can swap in and out different programmed chips into my p28 already. Is this what you mean by having my p28 socketed? Is the purpose of having it socketed so I can swap in/out different chips?

Thanks and sorry for my stupidity...

Yup, that means yours has been socketed already.

You might want to track down the person who did the socketing, and ask them if the "stock" chip that is in it is running the p30 program.

Thanks again...

The main reason I am asking and having to deal with this is because I am trying to get my car smogged. I am currently running a p08 because I was told that it would make my engine run cleaner to pass smog since the ecu is for a smaller engine.

Wouldnt that just throw everything off if the ecu is not for my application? Or is it true what I was told? I tried getting it smogged with the p08 but failed horribly, even with a new cat. Could this be the reason why I am failing...because the ecu im running is not for my car? Or would it more likely be something like I need a new o2 sensor?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated... :huh:

I wouldn't try to pass smog with a non-correct ECU. Try to track down a p30 or a p30 chip, make sure you aren't throwing any CELs, do a tune up and check your timing. Should pass with flying colors.

Ok cool, does it matter which o2 sensor I get? I was just going to get one for a 95 del sol. Do i specifically need to get one for the DOHC Del Sol, or should I just be able to run one for a 95 Del Sol; the reason im askin is because i am unsure if they have to match up specifically or not.

Back