since I love to spend money...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hatukazi

ambitious...but rubbish
I am replacing the clutch in my civic, it has been slipping like crazy and I have to adjust it almost weekly.

I bought a pepboys replacement for a 1991 crx Si.

I just put a new clutch in this summer for a civic CX. (it was used to move the car a few times, then I bought a whole new swap)

when I showed my dad the exedy that I replaced, he says "it looks almost new".

when I compare the discs the difference in thickness between the two looks like about 6 dollar bills edgewise, there are still deep grooves in the facing on the disc.

when I put the exedy pressure plate on the disc there is a lot of gap from the pressure plate to the flywheel.

dad says my clutch cable is worn out so I am going to replace that too.

so my plan is to use the exedy pressure plate with the new disc from pepboys, but I really want this to be the last time for a while so I have some questions.

if a clutch cable wears out, does it make that much difference?
I adjust it to where it goes into gear easily, then it shudders when I get on the gas.

is it my use of a CX clutch on a Z6 to blame?
when the exedy clutch was in my del sol I could get rubber in 1st to 2nd easily.
in my 91 4 door it lasted a month before slipping, I had to replace my tranny anyway so...new>old I thought, and the disc that was for the CX had puny springs I thought would break from the stiffer pressure plate I had.

any advice much appreciated, and thank you very much for reading my very first novel, I typed it all with a stickey "n" key...:eek:

Clutch cables stretch over time with enough use (and abuse), if it stretches too long, it won't work. Replace it.

D-series clutches should all be interchangeable.

I'm not sure what to tell you if you're doing a hybrid clutch. I'd keep it all oem, or upgrade the clutch, components, and flywheel at the same time. I've always wanted to know how an 8 pound flywheel feels.

Maybe I'll get around to that later; for now, I'm upgrading to Energy poly-urethane self-lubricating suspension bushings and getting the ride balanced and aligned since my '93 Civic rides like a go-kart with squeaks all around.

i agree on the new clutch cable... they definitely wear out and if it breaks you will be stranded. i used to have a DA with a stage 3 clutchmasters and it broke the cable 3 times in 5 years.

im not sure about the compatibility of aftermarket parts with oem?? you would be better off to just get a whole new clutch kit

if I could have trusted e-bay to get it here by tomorrow, I would have ordered the whole new exedy set with the lightweight flywheel last week.

the new cable comes tomorrow though,
should be picking up the hoist today,
if I can just find a place to re-surface my flywheel tomorrow, I wont be so upset with myself.

double bonus, the cable came early and it took 10 minutes to replace.

shifts like a new car, the cx clutch is still weak and I will be replacing it since I have time.

new cable ftmfw!

finally $50 I'm not upset about wasting:D

Back