Skunk2 ECU Chip on Ebay

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skunk2 = junk2 for ECUs. Their program runs rich as shit.

Originally posted by Canadian_GSR@Jul 27 2003, 07:51 PM
I found this on ebay, take a look and lemme know if ya think its a decent buy.
Skunk2 ECU Chip on Ebay

I have a master copy of about 165 different chip files, plus two different decompiler programs, and basically I can tell you this chip is a piece of shit. It is not true Skunk2 first of all. 90% of the branded (Skunk2, MUGEN, Feels, Spoon, etc...) chips found on eBay are from a single original bootleg, say MUGEN (designed for a 13,000 RPM full race setup) that have been modified. With HRED software, I can change the VTEC crossover and revlimiter of just about any chip. Say I had the MUGEN file with a 5700 rpm VTEC and no revlimiter, and I saw someone making money selling a "Skunk2" chip on eBay with a 4800 rpm VTEC and 9000 rpm revlimit, I could simply change the binary code on the MUGEN software to match the "Skunk2" numbers. This software would make the car run like shit, and that is the reason for these results: https://hondaswap.com/~pills/chet_ecu.html

Originally posted by Jim Truett+Jul 31 2003, 09:03 PM-->
Canadian_GSR
@Jul 27 2003, 07:51 PM
Skunk2 ECU Chip on Ebay

I have a master copy of about 165 different chip files, plus two different decompiler programs, and basically I can tell you this chip is a piece of shit. It is not true Skunk2 first of all. 90% of the branded (Skunk2, MUGEN, Feels, Spoon, etc...) chips found on eBay are from a single original bootleg, say MUGEN (designed for a 13,000 RPM full race setup) that have been modified. With HRED software, I can change the VTEC crossover and revlimiter of just about any chip. Say I had the MUGEN file with a 5700 rpm VTEC and no revlimiter, and I saw someone making money selling a "Skunk2" chip on eBay with a 4800 rpm VTEC and 9000 rpm revlimit, I could simply change the binary code on the MUGEN software to match the "Skunk2" numbers. This software would make the car run like shit, and that is the reason for these results: https://hondaswap.com/~pills/chet_ecu.html

Sorry to say JIM that all BIN (CHIP) files are basically the same.

When you say "Chips" are a POS, you are also referring to custom Spoon, Feels, Vision, (add name here) and "Hondata" as it is also a "Chip"

Yes, it's true, with HRED (thunder-rev) you can change vtec and redline, but what most people don't understand is that you can change timing and fuel curves.

With that said, MOST (ebay) sellers have absolutely NO idea on how to adjust a chip (fuel/timing) to suit the user. This is why "Hondata" is so popular.

If you were to spend the time researching said "Chips" you would know that the MUGEN and Skunk2 chips are IDENTICAL. The only real difference is the VTEC x-over and the redline.

Lastly, when a company such as "Mugen" makes a chip (the real deal) they spend many hours and dollars doing the proper research to match the "Chip" to a particular engine. So the average user will enjoy the added fuel and timing of a chip for $20, but doesn't want to spend $500+ to get "x" system. But if you change the VTEC and Redline, you effectivally change all the work done by said company.

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster+Jul 31 2003, 10:47 PM-->
Originally posted by Jim Truett@Jul 31 2003, 09:03 PM
Canadian_GSR
@Jul 27 2003, 07:51 PM
Skunk2 ECU Chip on Ebay

Sorry to say JIM that all BIN (CHIP) files are basically the same.

When you say "Chips" are a POS, you are also referring to custom Spoon, Feels, Vision, (add name here) and "Hondata" as it is also a "Chip"

Yes, it's true, with HRED (thunder-rev) you can change vtec and redline, but what most people don't understand is that you can change timing and fuel curves.

With that said, MOST (ebay) sellers have absolutely NO idea on how to adjust a chip (fuel/timing) to suit the user. This is why "Hondata" is so popular.

If you were to spend the time researching said "Chips" you would know that the MUGEN and Skunk2 chips are IDENTICAL. The only real difference is the VTEC x-over and the redline.

Lastly, when a company such as "Mugen" makes a chip (the real deal) they spend many hours and dollars doing the proper research to match the "Chip" to a particular engine. So the average user will enjoy the added fuel and timing of a chip for $20, but doesn't want to spend $500+ to get "x" system. But if you change the VTEC and Redline, you effectivally change all the work done by said company.

:boxing:

This is directly from Hondata:

"Most (but not all) plug in chip replacements claim to be a 'Mugen' program. Typically these chips disable error reporting for most sensors and give about 40 % worse fuel economy. The chips are popular with engine swaps because they eliminate most error codes caused by poor wiring."

"I have been using a _____ ECU (a much-pirated ROM from a Japanese performance company) without any error codes. Why do I get error codes when I use a stock ECU or a Hondata modified ECU?

The ROM in question was designed for racing applications only. It does not have the extensive redundancy and sensor verification like a stock ECU. You can prove this by unplugging sensors, and no error codes will be generated. The disadvantage is that you do not know when there is a problem, even if it affects performance. One car we looked at recently using on of these ROMs had errors from faulty wiring which caused the ignition advance to be fixed at 22 degrees. There was no way of knowing when using that particular ROM."

You must sell chips on eBay.

Re read my post. I said THAT chip is a pos. I know, because I have it. I have used it. Have you? Have you seen in real time how these chips operate in a daily driven vehicle. I did not say all chips are pos. If you have the .bin files of the same chips I have, then YES, they are all basically the same, because in one way or another most of them are a derivitave of the same initial software.

What you don't understand is Spoon, Feels, Skunk2, MUGEN, etc... do not MANUFACTURE OR SELL "chips" alone. These companies sell reprogrammed ECUs. All of the individual "chips" on eBay are a counterfeit one way or another.

Why the hell would a GENUINE Skunk2 "chip" be identical to a MUGEN "chip"? I guarantee the software would be much different.

No kidding. But are you telling me a MUGEN chip tuned for a full race application and an engine that is shifted at 12000 rpm will work well on a B16A with I/H/E?

If so, and others believe this, I am going to consider starting a chain of gas stations to profit off of the waste of fuel, and a chain of machine shops to decarbonize and rebuild the engines. :beat:

Originally posted by Jim Truett@Jul 31 2003, 11:33 PM
You must sell chips on eBay.

Re read my post. I said THAT chip is a pos. I know, because I have it. I have used it. Have you? Have you seen in real time how these chips operate in a daily driven vehicle. I did not say all chips are pos. If you have the .bin files of the same chips I have, then YES, they are all basically the same, because in one way or another most of them are a derivitave of the same initial software.

What you don't understand is Spoon, Feels, Skunk2, MUGEN, etc... do not MANUFACTURE OR SELL "chips" alone. These companies sell reprogrammed ECUs. All of the individual "chips" on eBay are a counterfeit one way or another.

Why the hell would a GENUINE Skunk2 "chip" be identical to a MUGEN "chip"? I guarantee the software would be much different.

No kidding. But are you telling me a MUGEN chip tuned for a full race application and an engine that is shifted at 12000 rpm will work well on a B16A with I/H/E?

If so, and others believe this, I am going to consider starting a chain of gas stations to profit off of the waste of fuel, and a chain of machine shops to decarbonize and rebuild the engines. :beat:

I used to sell chips, but there's no profit in it anymore. So now I convert ECU's for local shops and chip them as well.....

The Skunk2 chip is a direct copy of the Mugen program 5700 VTEC 9500 Redline. All Skunk2 did was modify the VTEC and Redline to suit their needs. HOWEVER, they did not modify the fuel and timing maps to match the new settings.

You are correct, Spoon/Mugen/Vision/etc... do not sell chips seperately, they sell the whole ECU. They may be a "COPY" of the original, but not a complete "FAKE/Counterfit" chip. Merely a copy of the original.

I have bought REAL spoon/mugen/vision ecu's and dumped the rom to a .bin file. Are they fake? Nope, it's the real deal.

Would you like to see the Mugen original and Skunk2 chip compared? I guarantee they are identical in fuel and timing curves.

I've never seen a 12,000 rpm Mugen chip. 9500?- Yes, I have it. Does it work for a B16? Well, I'd say it was a bit fuel rich, but then again, most people that are buying just a chip, are buying it because it's cheap.

Wishing you luck on your new gas station and machine shop :p

the difference between hondata and an *ebay* chip can be summed up very simply:
1. Tools - Hondata's tools are mature, stable and work consistently. HRED/thunderrev (in addition to being pirated software - it was never sold. Every copy sold on ebay is a pirated copy) has SERIOUS errors in just about every portion of it, as admitted by its author, Nicolas Darnis. You can seriously damage an engine, particularly by playing with timing.
2. Support - if things aren't working, there are clear avenues for you to get help with a Hondata. Good fucking luck getting ahold of the bastard who sold you that $20 chip. lol
3. Copy protection - Hondata systems are designed so they are hard to copy and share with your best buddy.
4. Maturity - Hondata has matured to the point where secondary correction routines like TPS enrichment, cold start enrichment can be adjusted so they do not wreak havoc with larger injectors.
5. Predictability - Who knows what you get when you buy a chip from ebay.
6. Cost - you get what you pay for.

Hondata is a great product. It's also expensive to the point where a lot of the enthusiast market is excluded.

Hondata is not the only thing around tho... For instance:

Hondata vs ERM/Uberdata
1. Cost - ERM/Uberdata currently has a free incarnation. Hondata does not
2. Predictability - unlike an ebay chip, you can open up a program and observe fuel and timing values corresponding to real world numbers. Both work predictably for engine management adjustment
3. Maturity - Hondata is far more mature than ERM. Tip-in, cold start and various other conditions can cause extreme richness when using ERM with larger injectors.

The DIY-solutions aren't up to par with commercial ones yet, but they offer a huge advantage over the blind luck or bad luck of an ebay chip.

P.S. I've received ECUs chipped by Skunk2 with the reciept from Skunk2. I've dumped their program and they are indeed almost a total ripoff of the "Mugen" program running around. Too rich, too wack.

Believe what you want but some facts might be good first...

Back