SLAX Linux anyone

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
This looks to be a promising portable OS for my usb key. I'm having a slight issue with wpa_supplicant to connect to my WPA encrytped AP. It's not that I don't know how to use wpa_supplicant as I have set it up for a few of my laptops now, SLAX finds the ipw2200 with now problems hell I can even scann for AP, just can't seem to figure out wpa_supplicant usage on this distro.

Thanks in Adance

i thought i was a nerd, until i read this post.....

i have no idea what you just said. lol

agree.gif

What version of the ipw2200 driver are you using? there is a known bug when using ipw2200 1.1.3 where you cannot associate when using wpa_supplicant. This was not an issue in 1.1.2 nor is it an issue in the recent 2.0 release.

Hmm, I'll need to look at what version of the ipw2200 driver I'm using, can't remember off hand. thnaks for the insight, and a good place to start

well got everything working, I had an error in my wpa_supplicant.conf file, then I found kwlan, and it supports wpa so I'm using that instead. So now I've got a portable os on a usb key which is f'in sweet

nice! ill have to check it out:)

how big is youe key?

Have you used the wpa_gui? If you configured the supplicant to allow changes to the file then it will write the config for you with values you provide.

I'm using an OZC 2gb usb key, picked it up for $25.00 from newegg on special last week.

I was able to use kwlan and configure wpa_suplpicant and save my changes that way.

wireless internet...

and wpa > wep definately.

so does any of the linux distros come with that driver or do you have to dl it separately?

I believe that the ipw2200 driver is in mainline, but I am not 100% on that. Even if it is you will still have to download firmware for your wireless card (freely available on sourceforge.net) because Intel insists on using a GPL incompatible license for it (even though they write the driver...). That being said I always run the latest, stable ipw2200 driver/firmware and 80211 networking stack from sourceforge.

My laptop uses a RaLink card. They recently decided to GPL their entire driver source :)

I've even got a fancy GUI interface for it. Handles WPA without a hitch.

Ralink - Vendor Watch

There's an info link.

Granted the GPL drivers weren't feature rich and robust, but there is a group that is working on making a nice suite of tools for the chipset.

ralink1.jpg

There's what the site survey looks like. You choose your AP, click connect and if it has any type of encryption...

ralink2.jpg

You get this. Just enter the key and you're off and running. It'll also save profiles so you don't have to constantly enter your encryption key if you like. Not too bad. One of the easiest cards I've found to get WPA working through Linux.

I like them because they freely give out source and documentation, unlike some other manufacturers *cough Broadcom cough*

Looks good, Kwlan does a very similiar funtion if you have wpa_suuplicant installed

Back