Small Swap done

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

<strike>So a few weeks ago I was ...</strike>

<strike>A funny thing happened to me on </strike>

No shoot how do I start this off.. Ah, here we go.

To some people the sounds of certain things are like a drug. To car guys, the sounds of a big heavy-hitter V8 rumbling at idle, or the sound of a formula1 12 cylinder at high RPM. Myself, I discovered my favorite car sound at N9 in Canada.

Packs of Civics sound like someone pissed off a hornet's nest. I love that sound.

So I find this cat on the highway with a dressed up Civic coupe.. Prolly an EK but the headlights / tail lights were so modded that I didn't know for sure. Anyway, we're having fun on the highway and listening to our exhausts bounce off the walls and other cars.. doing about 80 or so mph. I blast forward when the traffic clears and he catches up. Well his car is sounding really shitty - and when he hits the gas it blows a plume of smoke that looks like spyhunter. My exit is coming up, so he honk at each other and I proceed off the exit.

And that horrible noise I heard was me.

The Civic now sounded like a WRX with a vishnu exhaust. Sounded really good. Well, as you may know after owning a car - When the sound suddenly changes that dramatically and for no good reason - for better or worse, something about the car is changed. And car's don't gain HP suddenly or get better, so I'll have to assume that something has indeed gotten worse.

And it's running on 3 cylinders.

So I do all the regular checks to no avail. The plugs are really wet everytime I fire it up, and it won't run on the #2 cylinder. Clayton comes over and brings the compression gauge. All cylinders are healthy except #2. #2 holds no compression whatsoever - at all. Valve or ring... doesn't matter the plan is now set in motion.

Do I bank on the $100 for a new headgasket and support rebuild gaskets ? Then the head work? Or only to find that the ring is shot ? Or.. do I just swap in a motor and call it a day ? I put out the call for a new motor to replace it with and 90SiTuner answers that call.

He's got a 90 Si motor from his Si ready to go, with trans. $170 and I'm away with it. I had no room in my garage, so Clayton offered to use his garage for the swap. How hard can it be ?

Well the MPFI swap was in line, but ultimately the DPFI came off so well that it seemed like a better idea to leave it. So what went in there was a D16 with DPFI.

And the results can be found in my sig.

Part 2 : Driving impressions up next.

Out with the old, in with the new:

or older. Either way, this swap isn't legal in CT standards - the engine is older than the car that it's in. But no biggy - they'll never tell. Most disappointing is that the motor looks the same. Of course that's going to happen, but I have nothing exciting to report here: No turbo, no big builds or anything.

But there are some differences. Some big, some small.

Trans: I put the 5 speed in. For you ED guys you'll immediately recognise my base (STD) model as having a 4 speed. Well the first time I engaged 5th was really surreal. The highway RPMS are about the same at 65 mph (3000 rpm) which I expected. I also knew that for the most part the 5spd gearbox keeps the rpms about 100 rpm less than the 4 speed. But what I didn't know is that dramatically changes at higher speeds. 70 mph with the old engine would require 3500 rpms. This transmission adds about 100 rpm. 80 mph is now at 3500 rpm, where it used to do 70mph. Interesting. The curve continues upwards.

The new motor is a 1.6 versus my old 1.5 The 1.6 with my exhaust (SSA 2" cat back, gutted cat and dynomax with Airjockie over-axle) sounded really mean with the 1.5 liter. With the 1.6 liter it's nothing more than a pepboys fart can. Something about the 1.6 engines put out a shittier sound.

My exhaust heat shields, brackets and some shit in the head are rattled free. So it's really loud, really annoying. I'll take care of that some sunny day (Strategic weight reduction).

Now as you may notice, this D16A does not have MPFI. I thought that might be a real issue. But it's really not. It warms up quick, but doesn't overheat. No CEL and it's running pretty well so far. Pulling the plugs will be my only measure of how rich or lean this setup is. I don't expect it to run lean, because the DPFI injectors ARE capable of feeding an extra few ccs.

Performance wise, and this hurts, this used Si motor is a bit faster than my old one. I thought my old was a shreiking little bastard. This one has a few more ponies added for good measure. with a downshift I can do pretty much better althoughout the range than I could before.

The top end winds out at about 4500 rpm. I'll figure that out - more than likely a timing issue, but the DPFI could be starving it. Too soon to tell, and timing issues abound with this thing. Overall: Too soon to tell with the mileage, but I think I may be back near the 35 mpg mark.

so +1 gear and +.1 liters and this is what you get. a throttle body injected SI without all the weight.

its nice to see you finally accepted the 5 speed as a superior alternative to the crude 4 speed :)

so wait..........why the fuck didn't you convert it to MPFI?

its 10 miutes of extra work!

and I have an ECU!

and probably a resistor box!

but seriously, I swapped just the intake and ECU on an old D15 to MPFI and it made a noticable difference

we'll see what he gets, then i can run parts back and forth this week :p if need be.

Well, lemme see what DPFI does for me. The MPFI swap will happen, prolly on the new motor. For now I don't think I have any MPFI manifolds hanging around, and I don't know the new vacuum paths yet either.

"Interim motor" <-- key words.

well, we didn't have the FI wire harnes to the injectors or any of the other parts...so we made with what we had...and I'm kinda hoping to see some good mpg's from this...If steve can just drive froogle for a tank or two.... :laugh:

Back