Smog ... still...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok so here is the paper i was given after my smog. Can anyone tell me what all this means? It seems as though i only failed the NO part...

s3f856cafad57f.jpg

So what do you think?

So you failed for Nitrogen Monoxide (NO) at 116 parts over the allowed limit. you just squeaked by on the Hydrocarbon (HC)

which typically means you're running a tad bit rich.

did you try using any denatured alcohol or isopropal alcohol.

you can also use some feul injector cleaner to help clean up the carbon build up.

another trick to help pass is to lean the feul mixture out a bit.

yea i used denatured.. but it was 2:2 not 2:1.. i think that could have caused the problem...

What else could it be? By running the proper Alcohol to fuel mixture, should the emmisions be lower?

i think you should pull off your t/b and clean the throttle plate. also check your intake track, and if you really want to get thorough you could pull off you intake manifold.

if your car really has +250k on it i bet those thigs are so gummed up with grease. i have heard that cleaning the throttle plate really will help you pass emissions.

there is a product out there...dont remember the name, but they carry it at Autozone. you put it in your engine, fill it up with 91 octane, then drive a tankfull.

refill your engine and IMMEDIATELY go get smog.

i used this method and the prelude that i was smogging passed. barely.

of course the 'lude was stock. if u got illegal shit on there, this product wont help you that much

whoa trip out, i just saw the smog report on here.

i had a 1991 honda prelude too. i got it from my buddy who didnt take care of it. i used that shit and it passed.

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Oct 9 2003, 11:55 AM
yea i used denatured.. but it was 2:2 not 2:1.. i think that could have caused the problem...

What else could it be? By running the proper Alcohol to fuel mixture, should the emmisions be lower?

I couldn't remember if you were the one I suggested the mixture to.

yes running the proper ratio the emissions get much lower almost exponentially.

If you had the proper ratio, you would of passed with flying colors

check out
http://www.e85fuel.com/
http://www.platts.com/altfuel/methanol.shtml

read those two sites, you'll find a lot of info.
also do a google search for alternative fuels, e85 fuel.

I found some specifications once about how much you can lower emissions and
how strong of a mixture is safe to run in a tyipcal engine.

mine was a gross pollutor but i cleaned out the throttle body, the IM was a little gummed up so i cleaned that out also, and i retarded the timing like crazy. my setup was a B16 with a SRI, DC header, and ITR cams.
after all that it passed.

Man I feel bad for you guys! dont have smog checks and Im glad! Man I couldnt do it!

Originally posted by rsaeini@Oct 9 2003, 12:21 PM
mine was a gross pollutor but i cleaned out the throttle body, the IM was a little gummed up so i cleaned that out also, and i retarded the timing like crazy. my setup was a B16 with a SRI, DC header, and ITR cams.
after all that it passed.

Looks like im gonna have some work to do this weekend.

Before i try all this, do you guys all agree that this should help?

Back from the dead.

Well... i shelled out more money for ANOTHER smog, and still didnt pass. I ran the correct mixture for the 2:1 denatured alcohol, and i went a step further and totally drained my tank.

on this test, my results for the 15 mph were
35 HC Max allowed 124
.10 CO Max allowed .78
1787 NO Max allowed is 978

and my 25 mph test was
19 HC Max allowed 98
.01 CO Max allowed .66
1322 NO Max allowed 905

How do i get this stupid as NOX lower?!?!?!
I need ansewrs ASAP.. please help me out. thanx

edit: so far i have... replaced vac lines, cleaned out throttle body, replaced 1 out of 2 O2 sensors, put a new air filter, and stock intake, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. What is the PROPER gap suppose to be on my spark plugs? I have NGK V-power, and its a b20a. I think that they are gapped at .44 right, now. That seems to be too much.

Back