smoking turbo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blainet

I have a bran new T3 T4 hybrid i have about 25-30lbs of oil pressure at idle anything above 2 grand and i have 75 psi or so anywaz my turbo blows mad smoke whenver i rev it above like 2 grand i have a new JDM motor from japan to i cant figure out if i have to much oil pressure or if i have to much crank case pressure which is making it hard for the oil to return? im really stuck here and no one seems to know anything about turbos where im from

if you have a JDM engine, its gonna be from japan. The engine type might be helpful in most cases (not this one, however).

If your turbo is blowing smoke your probably running too rich. That being the case, i take it, you didnt have your ecu tuned, and you just used a 12:1 FMU or a Secondary set of injectors. Both of which like to cause that little problem.

Check the specs for your turbo on the manufacturers site. Some turbos need a restrictor in the feed line to keep pressure under 45.

at idle, when warm, 10-20 psi is normal. what weight oil are you using?

is there any chance your oil return line leaks?
have you pulled off some charge tubes? is there oil in the intake? intercooler? tubes?

there is oil in the charge pipe just a little but check this out ive had 4 different turbos on it its a new JDM motor.... could it have to high of compression i went out and drove it and it was making littel boost like 3 lbs but i never took it past like 4 and past half throttle ... I might have to much oil pressure but I put a 3/16 fitting in the line to restrict flow but wouldnt that make less volume and more oil pressure .... theres no race shops around here or id figure it out but it smokes out the exhaust side hella bad and oil sprays everywhere......

ohh and it doesnt leak at all the only thing i could think of is vacum lines not right or crankcase pressure to high and there is no leaks anywhere

if theirs oil in your charge pipe, the turbo is shot. the center section seals are leaking.

-3an is standard fitting size (3/16 is the same size) and should be fine. i'd go with an entire -3 line, instead of the restrictor though.

where is your feed sourced from?

i'm going to point fingers at your retun line. if it can't get rid of it, it has no where to go but sit there and ruin seals.

size?
location tapped in pan?
angle into pan?

pics?

ohh and it doesnt leak at all the only thing i could think of is vacum lines not right or crankcase pressure to high and there is no leaks anywhere
are you still running a PCV valve? or you have a filter to atmosphere?

I'm still running the PCV valve on the Accord, no smoking.

yea, that doesn't really make sense lol

i was just thinking if the PCV was allowing the crankcase to be pressurized , but it would still only be 3 or 4 lbs like he posted above, and 3-4lbs isn't gonna hold back 30 lbs of oil pressure

On my Toyota, with the PCV hooked up to the TB still it made a smokescreen during boost. I wasnt sure what the Honda was going to do, but it didnt smoke to my surprise.

Pull it out and check it, you should only be able to breath thru it one way.

pcv valves work on vacuum. the second you break vacuum and head into boost territory, the pcv valve is rendered useless.
i'd suggest getting a catch can asap.

oil in the air = detonation.
detonation = boom

Back