So thats how they paid for the cold war.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Also I would love to know how much out of ever dollar made actually goes to taxes for the average American. Income tax state and local property sales gas I mean there are so many

Also I would love to know how much out of ever dollar made actually goes to taxes for the average American. Income tax state and local property sales gas I mean there are so many

I've seen this somewhere, it's somewhere around 50% of every dollar if I remember correctly.

apparently you think the gov't knows better what to do with your money than you do
I don't even smoke but i think if you're going to tax an item a certain way, then tax all items a certain way
$50 jeans or $100 shoes are a luxury, you don't see them getting an additional 50% value added tax
Governments need taxation to function properly. How else would anything get paid for or done for that matter?

I see no problem with heavily taxing something that does no good to anybody. Clothing falls into the necessity category. Anybody can live without cigarettes if they so choose. Only people in a tropical climate can live without clothes.

Just because the government levies different taxes on different items doesn't mean they know better how to spend our money; nor does it mean they or the purchaser believes they know better how to spend our money.

Besides that, a tax is not "my money" its the governments money, that they earn as a result of my buying a product or working in this country. Seeing as how I enjoy living in this country, I don't mind taxation, and I understand that taxation is a necessity to maintain a certain standard of living.

Furthermore, if you don't like how the government is run, then you're free to voice your opinion, correspond with your representatives, and even run for office in an effort to affect a difference.

Stating assumptions about how you think someone else thinks does nothing but start arguments.

Last edited:
Governments need taxation to function properly. How else would anything get paid for or done for that matter?

I see no problem with heavily taxing something that does no good to anybody. Clothing falls into the necessity category. Anybody can live without cigarettes if they so choose. Only people in a tropical climate can live without clothes.

Just because the government levies different taxes on different items doesn't mean they know better how to spend our money; nor does it mean they or the purchaser believes they know better how to spend our money.

Besides that, a tax is not "my money" its the governments money, that they earn as a result of my buying a product or working in this country. Seeing as how I enjoy living in this country, I don't mind taxation, and I understand that taxation is a necessity to maintain a certain standard of living.

Furthermore, if you don't like how the government is run, then you're free to voice your opinion, correspond with your representatives, and even run for office in an effort to affect a difference.

Stating assumptions about how you think someone else thinks does nothing but start arguments.
I agree will what you're saying, but that's not what I was getting at.

My big problem is the misuse of funds. The foreign debt to subsidize our governments HUGE budget. Taking money earmarked for one thing, and using it for something else. Hell, we increased our debt ceiling so we didn't go bankrupt, and we still send money to foreign countries. We all would love to feed starving Ethiopian children, but when your lights are turned off and you're about to be evicted, you need to stop sending the cash and think about number 1.

I would be ecstatic just to see the government take in $XXX in tax dollars and in turn, put a proper budget in place so that we don't need to find money somewhere else. Forget a surplus, they could spend every dime, all I want to see is the spending stop when they run out of revenue. Put a budget together of what you can afford and decide what you can live without, just like every other Joe Public has to every week/month/year.

Well then why not tax people more because they are genetically more likely to have certain health conditions. You have a family history of cance, heart disease, stroke or diabetes at birth you should be taxed twice as much because of the drain you are going to put on the system. Its all bullshit. This country does not have a tax problem it has a spending problem! It's simple it's not how much you make but how much you spend! Don't believe me ask nicholas cage!

first off, my reply was directed to the person directly above my post... lets proceed
i have a rather firm grasp on why we have to pay taxes and the gov't needs it to operate (inefficient as fuck)
clothing is a necessity, but as you may notice i assigned values to things that are no longer necessity, $50 jeans are not a necessity when you can buy a pair of jeans for $20, and who is to decide what does or does not do someone any good?
$50 jeans do not provide any more benefit over a $20 pair of jeans, any more than a pack of cigarettes does to a smoker. and a smoker would of course argue your statement that cigarettes don't provide any good for them, stress relief and such nonsense
my comment about someone thinking the gov't knows what to do with their money better than they do was a direct reply to this statement
Tax the shit out of it. Smokers, meat eaters, and fatties are such a health care pool nightmare that companies charge employees if they smoke, institute healthy programs for recognition and rewards, and employ healthy lifestyle choices for food.
and my money vs its the governments money...
really man? really?
does the government come to your job and help you work?
then its not their fucking money, its still yours until you are forced to pay it to them
if the government did anything to earn the money it wouldn't be called a tax, it would be called pay

i'll cease having an issue with taxes when everyone and everything is taxed equally, and when the government stops enabling people who are capable of working but choose not to
until then, i'll stick by my statement regarding the gov't thinking it knows better what to do with my money than i do
every dollar that is given to someone too lazy to work is taken from someone else that does work

i drive a 10 year old car and go to work everyday, and i know people that drive $50k cars, that never worked a day in their life except by shitting out kids
i know people on disability that take their gov't provided pain pills and sell them for $5k cash a month
i know people that would rather sit at home on unemployment than take any job that comes their way
or even worse, collect unemployment AND work off the books at the same time

Last edited:
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]49,389.74
this is how much every man woman and child in this country owes, each person's share of the national debt, all of our futures mortgaged because no one took away the governments credit card

might be time to stop taxing people for their own good, and pull this run away train out of the gutter
[/FONT]

Okay, I'm in agreement with everyone else that the government as a whole does a shitty job of efficiently using the money they take in.

As far as taxing everything equally; well, it just works better not to. It's politics, give and take, trade-offs, strategy. Anyone with half a brain knows that even though smokers, for instance, will bitch and moan about high taxes on their product, 90% of them are going to pay it anyway. That's their choice.

Back