Sohc Times

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

liquid8

i am thinking of getting a sohc vtec motor maybe. and i just wanted to know what kind of times you guys run in what cars and what exact motors and mods you guys have. to see if i would be happy with getting a sohc.

I use o have a d16y8 with aem intake,greddy 4-2-1 header, apex-i n1 catback, fuel regultor,aem pulley and a 55shot, and i ran 14.1@96 with some drag radials and a 2.1 60ft. all in a 98 civic hatchback

A guy in my area has a turbo sohc motor and hits 13s on 7psi and street tires.Im pretty sure he has stock internals.

I give you props for going SOHC, I don't know why people initially knock the Sohc's :)

If you went all motor that would be even nastier!!!!! good luck

Milan

Originally posted by JDMilan@May 11 2003, 10:39 PM
I give you props for going SOHC, I don't know why people initially knock the Sohc's :)

If you went all motor that would be even nastier!!!!! good luck

Milan

Wow those are some good times. I think it's possible to run 14's with just bolt on's

got a buddy that ran 14.4 on single cam with i/h/clutch and slicks

im runnin 14.6 with I/H/E and a lil tuning on street tires. Its a mini me setup in a 90 hatch. nonvtec block with vtec head. Has a mild pnp job.

stay with the SOHC! Many people dont think they can be fast but they can. Plus when U do beat someone it makes them look worse cause its a SOHC. I have a D16z6 and it does low 15's with just exhaust and intake! Just make the car light and it will be fast! Reamember its HP:lbs not just Horsepower!!!! Plus I think there is a little place for us all motor tuners out there :D

Bisi runs mid 10's in a SOHC,but I doubt you will.Point is,if properly motivated and finianced you can achieve almost anything with whatever motor you start with.

i've got a SOHC vtec in my civic with I/H/E and i ran 10.2 in the 1/8 on street tires..prolly run 10flat or high 9's with slicks..

i got a stock 96 ex coupe and i run low 14's
haha
nah, my shit is slow as fuck stock.
16.8 in the 1/4 if im not mistaken?

if ur gonna swap it, go "b" series...
save more money, take a few extra months. you'll be alot happier in the long run.

not to mention the trannys suck, the heads dont flow nearly as well, the option of LSD is not availble (unless one came out recently for d-blocks) and all said an done, the amount of money it will take you to go 14s in a single cam all motor would equal a gsr swap

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 16 2003, 07:05 AM
the option of LSD is not availble (unless one came out recently for d-blocks)

There is a D series LSD tranny in Japan (and not 100%,but the EDM equivolents) for the Delsol VXi,civic VTi (JDM D15B).It's hard to come by in the states,but I've seen them on Ebay before.

i have a friend with a D16Z block Y8 head with I/E/H, 85-87 integra rods, JE cutstom piston 12:1 Compression ratio, AEM fuel components, ACT clutch, flywheel, and street slicks runnning 13.6 all motor. you can make it there.

my friend had a civic couple exhaust greddy turbo kit and a fuel pump 14.0 on 17" wheels and tires.

not a fan of greddy kits at all but the car was a fun beat the piss out of car. untill someone stole it. i bet they were pissed it wasnt a twin cam when they poped the hood.

Back