SOHC to DOHC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Travis

Is it possible? My girlfriend has a 2000 EX and she wanted to know if you can take off the head on her car and put an si head on it??? i dont know about this

thanks

there is allready vtec in the 2000 ex so just wire up a switch to the vtec solonoid and hold on to your hat! maybe you should put in a harness before you do this so you don't get thrown out of your seat when you manually kick in the vtec dude

The 2000 EX has a D16Y8 Single cam. The 2000 Si has a B16a2 Dual cam. There is no way in hell that you can put it on there. Haha Just port and polish your Y8 head or do a complete swap.

I know that a B head cant be put on a D block but why dosn't anyone make a DOHC after market head that would bolt to a D block

Holy shit batman!!! An aftermarket Dual cam head that bolts to a D series block!! Why the hell hasen't anyone thought of that?!?!?

oh yeah... because that would be a big ass stupid waste of time.

:ufucktard:

Ditto, the Single cam's bore is less than that of a Dual cam, so fuck that. I guess if you had to have dual cam, you could get an old ZC dual cam head!!! Its non vtec tho.

i swear to god, if i see one more person recommending to wire the VTS to a toggle switch, i am gonna choke somebody...

That will definately burn up the solenoid quick and in a fucking hurry. Haha If you're going to do it the cheeezy way, atleast get a fucking MSD RPM switch.

not only that, but the fuel mapping in a honda ecu is designed to have vtec engage at a preset point.

there are little to no power gains to be had on an a stock motor by engaging VTEC any earlier. you lose low-end, fuel economy, and can burn the solenoid up, as mali stated.

more importantly. vtec is engaged with the stock computer at a point where torque begins to roll off. then, as vtec engages, the top-end power is achieved.

also..... there are several failsafes incorporated into the ecu. VTEC will not engaged if engine temperature is too low, oil pressure is too low, or you are below 20 mph.

these are not there to slow the car down, they are there to keep the motor together..

engaging vtec, say as soon as you left the house on a cold morning, with a switch,
will:

either 1.) starve the engine for oil, due to lack of pressure (bad)
2.) not give the engine time to reach operating temp. (bad, again)
3.) generally screw shit up (again, bad)

also, on a 2000 model civic, you would likely get a CEL from trying to engage it before the computer thinks it should engage...

these are just MY opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views of hondaswap.com

Originally posted by EGLSHB@Dec 12 2003, 11:11 AM
i swear to god, if i see one more person recommending to wire the VTS to a toggle switch, i am gonna choke somebody...

sorry, I should have posted a link to another topic this kid started.....

here it is

why don't I just wire vtec solonoid to a switch

hopefully that will answer why I made that comment earlier

sorry dude... i thought he was starting to win ppl over to the idea.....

that is one of those things that will lead to topics like : "my car runs like shit now, what do i do?"

Originally posted by EGLSHB@Dec 12 2003, 01:13 PM
sorry dude... i thought he was starting to win ppl over to the idea.....

that is one of those things that will lead to topics like : "my car runs like shit now, what do i do?"

yup, I don't think most people understand that in stock form there isn't a set rpm that vtec switches at. sure it's always right around the same point but the ecu is programed to take a number of different variables into account before switching cam profiles.
and yes sometimes you can make a better torque curve if you have a properly tuned vafc or something else that has a vtec controller but unless it is properly tuned you are probably just hurting you performance and possibly your motor as well

Ok, i am sorry that I posted something dumb. My girlfriend want to know and she asked if I would post this. I didnt think it would work any ways. About wiring vtec to a switch i just wanted to see mainly if my VS would work. b/c i just swaped it and i wanted to know if i need to replace it. thanks for your help. i know that it is not good to wire a switch to you solinoid. i dont have the right fuel curves or even the right computer for the motor. So it cant be good to ingauge vtec.

i posted something stupid and i look like a fool SORRY :(

Originally posted by Travis@Dec 16 2003, 03:40 AM
Ok, i am sorry that I posted something dumb. My girlfriend want to know and she asked if I would post this. I didnt think it would work any ways. About wiring vtec to a switch i just wanted to see mainly if my VS would work. b/c i just swaped it and i wanted to know if i need to replace it. thanks for your help. i know that it is not good to wire a switch to you solinoid. i dont have the right fuel curves or even the right computer for the motor. So it cant be good to ingauge vtec.

no big deal dude,
most of the people on here (including me) don't know everything there is to know but when there comes a chance to rip on someone that doesn't know what we allready do.... we are like a bunch of vultures

basically, just do some research, use the search button at the top of the page, and use google and you can learn alot about your cars without every asking a question

Originally posted by Travis@Dec 16 2003, 03:40 AM

no big deal dude,
most of the people on here (including me) don't know everything there is to know but when there comes a chance to rip on someone that doesn't know what we allready do.... we are like a bunch of vultures

basically, just do some research, use the search button at the top of the page, and use google and you can learn alot about your cars without every asking a question

in the meantime, get yourself the correct ecu and get it wired up, no point in f'n around with stuff trying to make it work and ending up ruining a spendy engine

by the way, i wasn't trying to be a dick...

just trying to inform, and got a little carried away...

i apologize

Originally posted by EGLSHB@Dec 12 2003, 11:11 AM

That sounds like the ultimate ricer idea, a Vtec button. lol

Back