Sohc turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolidDreamz

If you had a d15 with some bad rings how much would it normally run to bore out the cylinders to fit some new low compression pistons. What else would you have to do to the block to make it turbo friendly? I heard someone say that 10lbs of boost on a d series is safe but how much extra horses can you get from 15lbs on a d series motor? Isnt turbos kits for SOHC cheap? Thinking about building a cheap SOHC turbo motor as a back-up.

dude, the d15 block is the most turbo friendly of the d series blocks from what i hear- if you did low compression pistons and aftermarket rods you would have no problem running any of the boost levels that the kits use- the greddy kit is in the neighborhood of 1900 w/o intercooler or BOV and the APEX kit is around 2600 and also doesn't include intercooler or BOV and fuel management with that kit is a seperate but necessary buy- people have told me you can run up to 10 psi on stock internals with proper fuel, so with the built motor you should have no problem running 15 psi, as long as your fueling is good- but the thing is the wastegate that comes with the greddy kit is only good up to about 8 PSI- not sure of the number on the apex kit-

if you have bad rings, replace the rings.

the stock compression of the d15 is fine. any slower and you'll just go slower.

if your thinking of spending money on a back-up motor, why don't you take this money into a standalone, get it tuned, and then never have a need for a back up motor in the first place?

Well I dont know how much it would cost to get someone to replace the rings. If its gonna cost 700.00 to replace rings I can get a jdm d15b around 130hp with 35,000 with paperwork (compression,oil pressure,leakdown tested). Another thing is the d series tranny sucks, I've already went through my second gear synchro once and now if I take my rpms high itll grind into 3rd and 4th. I figure If I run 15lbs of boost the tranny cant handle it. Is the d16 tranny better? Is it better instead of getting a turbo kit for the sohc to just buy a b18b? Also how much hp can you get from running 15lbs of boost on a 130hp sohc engine.

nope. all 92-95 ex/si d-seires trannies suck if you ask me.

id go b-series anyday over d-series turbo. but that's me.

15lbs with no reinforcement internally?? you could run it for like 10 seconds and blow your motor. run 10lbs safely with some fuel tuning. anything really above 10 is askin for trouble. ^^youre right tho, the 92-95 syncros suck nuts. get a 96 ex and up tranny for some stronger syncros....

you're kidding yourself if you think its going to blow up in 10 seconds.

if you give it enough fuel at 12:1 with a mild timing tune, i would give it a year+ as long as you aren't detonating.

i have a D15b and i have the greddy kit with no other fuel management then the blue bow and a fuel pressure regulator. i have been running 18lbs on that motor for almost a year and a half. i have colder plugs and a different wastegate. it runs a 13.2 in the quarter and i am very happy with it. So the D series is a great motor to build and play with it b/c the parts are cheap and they are everywhere...you can use the TT supra pistons and the B16 rods (when milled for wrist pins) and they bolt up to the D16 crank. then you have a great turbo D series motor. Just a little FYI and some little help for some others. There is a company named Eagle that is in Florida that sleeves blocks and has a lifetime warranty on them for $700. so search and give them a call. I live there shit. shoot me an email with any more questions. Dancomer18@hotmail.com

you simply CANT boost with out more fuel. end of story. 2 psi, and you will be running super lean. 3, and your starving, 4 your combusting air.

thats like trying to eat 5 meals a day and shit once a week. it simply can't be done.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 5 2003, 01:34 AM

thats like trying to eat 5 meals a day and shit once a week. it simply can't be done.

is there any money involved in this statement/dare?

So, what about a mini me swap engines?
Because I'm gonna install a D16Y8 head on my D15B8 block and I would like to know which turbo configuration would run better with that setup.

Back