SOHC VTEC Build-up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NEWHOE

I was just given a 1993 Honda Civic by my brother-in-law and curious as to what I can do with it. I just bought a SOHC VTEC engine for it to replace the stock 1.5 engine. I am wondering if anyon can give me a hand with what else I could do to the car to add some hp and build it up. Another question is should I just buy another engine instead?

that SOHC VTEC u got is a nice little D series engine.. if u wana stay with the d series then u could thow a cam at her and turbo it, the block of the d series arnt that stong they can only handle like 8psi max on stock internals, if u wanted to go more hp you shuld get a b18a (92-93) or a b18b (94-95) both motors are out of a Intgra LS, they are NON VTEC but are workhorses.. u put that in and ull be in the mid 15 streight up... then if you turbo that ull easly be in the low 14's mid-high 13s.. and the b18 is a pritty simle swap. it would plug right in with the exception of the O2 sensor i think and one other sensor. no big deal...
good luck man

Originally posted by CRseX84@Sep 30 2004, 06:09 PM
that SOHC VTEC u got is a nice little D series engine.. if u wana stay with the d series then u could thow a cam at her and turbo it, the block of the d series arnt that stong they can only handle like 8psi max on stock internals, if u wanted to go more hp you shuld get a b18a (92-93) or a b18b (94-95) both motors are out of a Intgra LS, they are NON VTEC but are workhorses.. u put that in and ull be in the mid 15 streight up... then if you turbo that ull easly be in the low 14's mid-high 13s.. and the b18 is a pritty simle swap. it would plug right in with the exception of the O2 sensor i think and one other sensor. no big deal...
good luck man
[post=396886]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't spread lies like "d-series motors aren't strong and can only handle 8 psi" First of all 8 psi doesn't mean shit because 8 psi from a tiny IHI turbo is not the same as 8 psi from a huge T4 turbo. Second most d-series motors can handle around 200whp and last a long time (years) with good fuel management and tuning. Third if you like pushing things to the max like I do, then you could probably squeeze around 250 out of a d-series, but don't be suprised if a rod flys throught the block. I am currently making 230whp/208wtq on a completely stock d16z6, before I turned the boost up recently I was runnig about 10 psi with a t3 60 trim and making about 215whp for 7 months and I beat the this out of my car daily. Oh and I have a full interior coupe and will be running 12's this weekend at the track. My first time at the track I ran 13.3 @ 102 and that was at 10 psi, I could probably run a 12 second pass at 10 psi, but I am going to be runnig 12 psi anyways.

k fist of all im not spreadin lies man, the D series rods are not that strong. it is real hard on them to hold past 8lbs of boost. iv dont alota research in books bout this. im not smashin on d series or ne thing man chil. im just statin the facts...

lets just say that shit happens. just go forged bottom end. some people luck out and some people just have the worst luck ever. do you wanna find out if you're lucky or not?

Originally posted by CRseX84@Sep 30 2004, 07:30 PM
k fist of all im not spreadin lies man, the D series rods are not that strong. it is real hard on them to hold past 8lbs of boost. iv dont alota research in books bout this. im not smashin on d series or ne thing man chil. im just statin the facts...
[post=396918]Quoted post[/post]​

if you have done alot of research then you would know 8psi can easily be driven on a SOHC. Properly tuned you can run around on 8lbs all day on a T3 60trim, i know this becuase i did it. And 8psi from a babyturbo tuned is no big deal.

Originally posted by CRseX84@Sep 30 2004, 07:30 PM
[post=396918]Quoted post[/post]​

You are spreading lies. Your right, the d-series rods are the weak part of the motor, but you saying they can't handle more than 8 psi is NOT TRUE. Many people including myself are making a good amount of horsepower on stock d-series blocks just fine. You obviously didn't understand what I said in my previous post about why "psi" doesn't mean too much because it depends on the turbo size, so read it a few more times. The stock internals can handle a lot more horsepower than you think, it's all about tuning. Oh and put down your import tuner magazines... :asshat:

Wow, you must have caught me in a bad mood. ;)

when i said that i was talkn bout all day. its very very hard on them to run 11psi alll day every day as a daily driver...im sure u can turn it up for the track or the dino.... that that lil shot time. but if u ran it at that all day all the time it wouldnt last. chiiiiilll ouut

Originally posted by CRseX84@Oct 1 2004, 07:06 AM
when i said that i was talkn bout all day. its very very hard on them to run 11psi alll day every day as a daily driver...im sure u can turn it up for the track or the dino.... that that lil shot time. but if u ran it at that all day all the time it wouldnt last. chiiiiilll ouut
[post=397082]Quoted post[/post]​

Dude, your fucking wrong and you have no idea what your taling about (seriously just shut up lol). How many times do I have to tell you the amount of "psi" means nothing for you to understand that? The greddy kit is pretty common for a d-series motor. If you had your car tuned well with uberdata and upgraded injectors you could run 10-12 psi (would be around 200whp) on a greddy kit all day long and be just fine.

As I said before I drive my car hard everytime I drive it. I at least take it to redline 2 or 3 times no matter where I am going (jack in the box, the bank, a friends house, etc...). Many times if I am going on long trips 50-150 miles I will do 2 or 3 freeway pulls, more if I am racing somebody. The first time when I went street racing? I must have raced a good 15-20 times that night at least and that's full rips all the way through 3rd gear and halfway through 4th gear. I have been doing this since I had my car turbo 7 months ago. I have no doubt in my mind the rods will hold if I keep the horsepower down around 215whp where I have had it. When I start going to the track and turning the boost up to 14-15 psi, that's a different story, but I think it will hold. My buddy was tunning 14 pounds on a 18g turbo (bigger turbo than I have) for a while on his stock ZC and the rods held just fine. It's all in the tuning man.

Originally posted by NEWHOE@Sep 30 2004, 03:32 PM
I was just given a 1993 Honda Civic by my brother-in-law and curious as to what I can do with it. I just bought a SOHC VTEC engine for it to replace the stock 1.5 engine. I am wondering if anyon can give me a hand with what else I could do to the car to add some hp and build it up. Another question is should I just buy another engine instead?
[post=396806]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah--I'm with you... I have a '95 Civic EX, SOHC VTEC, and I want more power/speed. I have no clue what to do; if I've got something to work with or if I should just get a new engine. *sighs*

--Kim

Originally posted by Blanco@Oct 1 2004, 05:32 PM
Do you want to go turbo or stay all motor? And how much do you want to spend...either of you?
[post=397257]Quoted post[/post]​

I could spend around $1,500...but I'd like to keep it below that if possible because I need it before December. As for turbo--I'm not sure. I just want power and speed. Something that will get up and go when I need it to.

--Kim

Originally posted by Blanco@Oct 1 2004, 03:32 PM
Do you want to go turbo or stay all motor? And how much do you want to spend...either of you?

I am going to go turbo and maybe nitrous later, but for now I would like to stay motor.

IMO If you are satisfied building up a SOHC and getting x amount of horspower and running x times at the track then more power to you and be happy. However, you are never going to be able to surpass the potential of building up a B16. That extra cam unleases a whole new ballgame. I wanted to build my d16z6 for the longest time...... but in the end i would have ended up with an expensive motor that would not fit the bill. But that all just my opinion.

Originally posted by Blanco@Oct 1 2004, 05:32 PM

I'm probably going to try to keep it all motor... Not really going to race with it or anything--just want speed. :)

--Kim

Originally posted by beerbongskickass+Oct 1 2004, 12:06 PM-->
@Oct 1 2004, 07:06 AM
when i said that i was talkn bout all day. its very very hard on them to run 11psi alll day every day as a daily driver...im sure u can turn it up for the track or the dino.... that that lil shot time. but if u ran it at that all day all the time it wouldnt last.  chiiiiilll ouut
[post=397082]Quoted post[/post]​

Dude, your fucking wrong and you have no idea what your taling about (seriously just shut up lol). How many times do I have to tell you the amount of "psi" means nothing for you to understand that? The greddy kit is pretty common for a d-series motor. If you had your car tuned well with uberdata and upgraded injectors you could run 10-12 psi (would be around 200whp) on a greddy kit all day long and be just fine.

As I said before I drive my car hard everytime I drive it. I at least take it to redline 2 or 3 times no matter where I am going (jack in the box, the bank, a friends house, etc...). Many times if I am going on long trips 50-150 miles I will do 2 or 3 freeway pulls, more if I am racing somebody. The first time when I went street racing? I must have raced a good 15-20 times that night at least and that's full rips all the way through 3rd gear and halfway through 4th gear. I have been doing this since I had my car turbo 7 months ago. I have no doubt in my mind the rods will hold if I keep the horsepower down around 215whp where I have had it. When I start going to the track and turning the boost up to 14-15 psi, that's a different story, but I think it will hold. My buddy was tunning 14 pounds on a 18g turbo (bigger turbo than I have) for a while on his stock ZC and the rods held just fine. It's all in the tuning man.
[post=397144]Quoted post[/post]​

Very true, good tuning is the key to engine longevity. MAYBE if he was running 10 psi all the time and his "tuning" consisted of an FMU/missing link he might have problems.

Its true that Dseries motors arent as strong as Bseries motors, but that really doesnt matter since D's can make around 200 - 215 whp with a decent turbo setup (which BTW is fine for a FF car).

Well Kim, if you wanna keep it all motor then I would either swap a b16 or an ls motor into your civic. It wont be easy to get where you want to all motor on a dseries. Although I could be wrong, but that is just my opinion.

BTW, turbo is not really just for racing purposes. You can piece together a junkyard turbo setup for about a grand, along with some money for tuning and fuel and you could get about 150-170whp with that setup if tuned properly. That number will be with the boost around 6-8psi depending on the turbo of course.

Originally posted by Blanco@Oct 8 2004, 05:37 PM
Or you can do something like this and hit the same 150-170whp goal, all motor, for the around the same price tag.

D16Z6
DC 4-2-1 header (because it's legal in Cali)
Injen or AEM CAI
GReddy SP exhaust
P29 Pistons
Zex/Comp Cams 59300 cam
KMS Manufacturing springs and retainers, good to 10.5k rpm (man. claim)
AEM 5 bolt cam gear
ACL main and rod bearings
OEM gaskets and seals
Hondata IM gasket
OEM timing belt, tensioner, water pump
ARP head studs
Three angle valve grind
ACT six puck clutch
Haven't decided on flywheel yet, something in the 12lbs. range
ZC tranny with 'teg axles
Hondata S100
[post=400236]Quoted post[/post]​

I really doubt your going to get 150-170whp out of an all motor d16z6 by just doing that... what are they stock like 100? 105? maybe 110 at the wheels? I just searched d-series.org really quick and the highest whp all motor d-series dyno sheet I found was like 138 (ZC with cams and headwork), but then again I just skimmed through. I guess maybe I could see it getting to 150whp with more work, but 170whp? I dunno about that. All you are really doing is raising the compression with the P29 pistons, adding a cam, and doing a little headwork... then your basic bolt ons. Got any dyno sheets of some all motor d-series motors making this much horsepower? I am kinda curious.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass+Oct 9 2004, 01:07 AM-->
@Oct 8 2004, 05:37 PM
Or you can do something like this and hit the same 150-170whp goal, all motor, for the around the same price tag.

D16Z6
DC 4-2-1 header (because it's legal in Cali)
Injen or AEM CAI
GReddy SP exhaust
P29 Pistons
Zex/Comp Cams 59300 cam
KMS Manufacturing springs and retainers, good to 10.5k rpm (man. claim)
AEM 5 bolt cam gear
ACL main and rod bearings
OEM gaskets and seals
Hondata IM gasket
OEM timing belt, tensioner, water pump
ARP head studs
Three angle valve grind
ACT six puck clutch
Haven't decided on flywheel yet, something in the 12lbs. range
ZC tranny with 'teg axles
Hondata S100
[post=400236]Quoted post[/post]​

I really doubt your going to get 150-170whp out of an all motor d16z6 by just doing that...
[post=400403]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

There is no way a mild cam and some p29 pistons are gonna net out to 150whp on a dyno. think about it, d16's have around 107 - 110 whp stock, i doubt those mod's are good for a 40 horse gain.

Back