1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sold my car, broke down on the way to destination

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by reckedracing, Aug 27, 2010.

1. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

So I sold my boosted hatch last night to a guy from about 3 hours away.
    I get a phone call about 4 hours later, voicemail saying the car died and it had to be towed.
    I have daily driven the car since March and I never had a problem with it, never left me stranded, never any sign that there was something wrong with the motor.

So now what do I do here.
    The guy is saying he was just driving the car normal, 70-75 mph, pulled over, and then went to restart it and it would not start, will only start if you push it and pop it but runs shitty.

The sale was done as-is. He told me he only made it like 20 minutes away and then had a problem with it, then he said he only made it about 45 minutes away and had a problem.

2. wikedeye

wikedeye Well-Known Member

Is he asking for his money back? Maybe It is an easy fix and you could fix it for him. That being said you sold it as is which means you dont really have to do anything.

3. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

The shitty part is you don't really know what he did. He probably took it for a good rip and it started acting up.

4. invisibledemon

invisibledemon Bored Moderator VIP

i wouldnt do a damn thing.

when have you bought a new car and not beat on it to see what it can do.
    he bought it as is, you have no responsibility here.

of course hes going to say that he was just driving normally, the douche just spent what im assuming is a good chunk of change then probably over revved or some shit and is now wanting you to pay the price.

if you're smart you'll tell him that the car was perfectly fine with you and that you dont know what he did, but its not your responsibility.

5. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

My assumption is that he was doing a WOT pull on the highway, while driving back with his friend in the car they took to get here, and popped the motor.
    It shouldn't have run lean because I just got the thing street tuned and pulled good AFR's across the band.
    I am guessing he just ran it way too hot, it didnt have any overheating problems, but it also just had a small probe intercooler on it. The turbo would have been throwing way too much heat into the motor if he was running it WOT for any extended period of time. I told him don't beat on the thing until you get home.

I'm gonna stick with the as-is sale.
    His story isnt adding up to me. First he says he only made it 20 minutes and then it didnt run anymore, so I asked why didnt you call me when it broke down then? or just brought the car back and I would have given you your money back on the spot. Then later I asked him again how far he made it and he said he was only driving for 45 minutes, and pulled over and it wouldnt restart. Ok, so why didnt you call me at the :45 min mark then? Why wait until 4 hours later to call me.

Update:
    Just got another car, this time from his friend.
    Story is jumping all over the place. Now the car stalled twice. Then they got pulled over 3 times. Now they pulled over so his dbag friend could drive the car. And now I find out that the car went from full tank down to 1/4 tank of fuel. No way you burned 3/4 of a tank just driving 20 or 45 minutes. This is some bullshit.

6. D16Civic

D16Civic Matt

Yep. Tell him to get fucked.

Let him take you to small claims court if he wants to push it. My guess is you'll never hear from him again.

7. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

tell him its a turbo'd Honda that was sold as-is.. and that he probably ripped on it seeing what power it makes and broke it, and that he's shit out of luck now. ..

8. Kanned

Kanned Beast

Looks like you got it figured out. I would record the calls from the douche.

9. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

As is is the key phrase to the transaction. It sounds like he was beating on it pretty hard and didnt really know exactly what he was doing and smoked it.

10. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

as is = buyer's problem.

11. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

Sounds like he was being a douche and didn't take any of your advice.

He won't take you to court, just try to be helpful, and write everything down that he says/does.

12. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

Well, it turns out he just ran the car out of gas.
    I hate dealing with douche bags.

13. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

14. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

I do real estate.

People always begin complaining immediately after they take possession of their apartment. The more contact I have with them after the point of no return (aka move in day), the more complaining I am afflicted with. Keep in mind they've already payed and I cannot get any more money out of them.

If the sale was done as-is, then none of this is your problem. If you can fix things easily this week then do so, but after he has it for 2 weeks and has been using it, its likely his problems are self inflicted & you should steer the guy towards ways to fix it himself.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted