Sold my car, broke down on the way to destination

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
So I sold my boosted hatch last night to a guy from about 3 hours away.
I get a phone call about 4 hours later, voicemail saying the car died and it had to be towed.
I have daily driven the car since March and I never had a problem with it, never left me stranded, never any sign that there was something wrong with the motor.

So now what do I do here.
The guy is saying he was just driving the car normal, 70-75 mph, pulled over, and then went to restart it and it would not start, will only start if you push it and pop it but runs shitty.

The sale was done as-is. He told me he only made it like 20 minutes away and then had a problem with it, then he said he only made it about 45 minutes away and had a problem.

Is he asking for his money back? Maybe It is an easy fix and you could fix it for him. That being said you sold it as is which means you dont really have to do anything.

The shitty part is you don't really know what he did. He probably took it for a good rip and it started acting up.

i wouldnt do a damn thing.

when have you bought a new car and not beat on it to see what it can do.
he bought it as is, you have no responsibility here.

of course hes going to say that he was just driving normally, the douche just spent what im assuming is a good chunk of change then probably over revved or some shit and is now wanting you to pay the price.

if you're smart you'll tell him that the car was perfectly fine with you and that you dont know what he did, but its not your responsibility.

My assumption is that he was doing a WOT pull on the highway, while driving back with his friend in the car they took to get here, and popped the motor.
It shouldn't have run lean because I just got the thing street tuned and pulled good AFR's across the band.
I am guessing he just ran it way too hot, it didnt have any overheating problems, but it also just had a small probe intercooler on it. The turbo would have been throwing way too much heat into the motor if he was running it WOT for any extended period of time. I told him don't beat on the thing until you get home.

I'm gonna stick with the as-is sale.
His story isnt adding up to me. First he says he only made it 20 minutes and then it didnt run anymore, so I asked why didnt you call me when it broke down then? or just brought the car back and I would have given you your money back on the spot. Then later I asked him again how far he made it and he said he was only driving for 45 minutes, and pulled over and it wouldnt restart. Ok, so why didnt you call me at the :45 min mark then? Why wait until 4 hours later to call me.

Update:
Just got another car, this time from his friend.
Story is jumping all over the place. Now the car stalled twice. Then they got pulled over 3 times. Now they pulled over so his dbag friend could drive the car. And now I find out that the car went from full tank down to 1/4 tank of fuel. No way you burned 3/4 of a tank just driving 20 or 45 minutes. This is some bullshit.

Yep. Tell him to get fucked.

Let him take you to small claims court if he wants to push it. My guess is you'll never hear from him again.

tell him its a turbo'd Honda that was sold as-is.. and that he probably ripped on it seeing what power it makes and broke it, and that he's shit out of luck now. ..

As is is the key phrase to the transaction. It sounds like he was beating on it pretty hard and didnt really know exactly what he was doing and smoked it.

Sounds like he was being a douche and didn't take any of your advice.

He won't take you to court, just try to be helpful, and write everything down that he says/does.

I do real estate.

People always begin complaining immediately after they take possession of their apartment. The more contact I have with them after the point of no return (aka move in day), the more complaining I am afflicted with. Keep in mind they've already payed and I cannot get any more money out of them.

If the sale was done as-is, then none of this is your problem. If you can fix things easily this week then do so, but after he has it for 2 weeks and has been using it, its likely his problems are self inflicted & you should steer the guy towards ways to fix it himself.

Back