some guidance please b16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totally new with this whole thing so bare with me... i searched about 20 pages into the teq pages and i still couldnt find the answers i was looking for... mind you, im a noob in the forum realm. my hatch is only a tuner car... i traded my 01 prelude for a 03 lex IS300... so i have the ability to let the car sit for a while, i know a few things about hondas but never got too into the swap world i already had an h22

ok so i bought a 90 si hatch from some hick and he swapped a sohc zc motor into it, i decided to bottle feed it till i can get some $$$$ together,... i was looking for some input on what to do. my options are... build the sohc zc as much i need to, so that i can boost it... i figured i can get some decent power out of the motor and i have a disposable motor so i would have easy access to parts and help.... on the other hand we have the all to popular b16 swap 88-91 sir... which i dont know much about, some questions i had about the swap are... will it drop right in? what kind of modifications will i need as far as motor mounts, axels, etc... how strong of a motor is the b16... as far as building it... is it better to go NA, boost, or just bottle feed it some more? any help i can get would be awesome.

yes the b16 will drop right in, however you need a few things to go with it.motor mounts for this specific swap.you will also need to notch the frame for the alternator clearence"trust me you will pay later if its not dented enough,i am right now"plus new axles shift linkage,ecu,and yes the b16 is a pretty durable motor.
i think it could almost be called bullet proof.

:werd: the b16 swap is REALLY easy. I did it by myself with a little help from a friend. Do a search, you should be able to find one of the millions of threads about what the b16 swap entails.

The b16 is durable. It hgas nearly perfect r/s ratio. This motor with the right piston/rods combo is great for FI, NA, Nirtous whatever.

so from all the input it seems the b16 swap is the better way to go... now the shop that i am getting all my work done at said they will do a full swap with solid motor mounts, a stage one exedy clutch kit, a mugen ecu, and dyno tune it for $2k... im in SO. CALI. does that seem like a good price its the best ive found down here... and any recomended setups to go with... maybe certain pistons... or a build to go with... i have a NOS kit i can bolt up to it... any input or recomendations? i appreciate all the help!

I would do the swap yourself. That way you know everything is done well and up to par. I did it myself and it cost about $3000. I got the engine through hmotoronline.com GET IT FROM THEM, STEVE IS AWESOME!!!!! I got the hasport mounts and shift linkage through him also. The wiring is VERY easy and I had no trouble with it at all.

Just for perspective, I'm 18 and this was my first major car project. Its fun and you'll learn a hella lot from it. :thumbsup:

Where in So Cal are you? What shop are you going through? And for god's sake stay away from the mugen chipped ecu.

The Mugen program isn't a bad one to start with, but if the shop is really going to dyno tune the car, it's unnecessary. Whatever they use to tune the car will be modifying the fuel maps anyway, and if you're using a B16 computer with a mostly stock B16 engine, you don't need to change the fuel maps much to get the best power curve.

$2k for a B16 swap into a 4th gen Civic is awesome. Just be sure that the shop has a good reputation and does good work. Most of the shops around me won't finish a B16 swap into a 4G for that cheap- so be wary. Talk to people who have had swaps done by that shop.

Back