some Ls/vtec questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

ok i did do a search and even on some other forums. the questions i have were not really coverd or if they were it was in a jumble of other stuff and i was only able to read so much so here i am.

1) what would an Ls/vtec transformation cost with me doing most of the work besides say degreeing the cam's and and geting the timing belt put on i asume there both one job. i would want to go with the b16 head and pistons inless any one can give me a reson not to, also i would want to do the oil pump and water pump from the gsr and i would do the pluging of the oil hole my self but would need a shop to take the 00.1 or what ever it is of the rods and also what would a chiped ecu for this set up cost...basicly a good* ball park figure.. or a goal i can work to

2) what work would most likely need to be done by a shop, i am damn good with my hands i am coming from old V8's so i think i have good hands on ability and i have been reading alot so...?

3) if i got a b16 swap motor from a shop could i use the head and pistons with out a hitch for this tansformation? i can get a whole b16a for like 600$ i asume its a 50,000 smog motor or something its a good shop so i would asume the motors are in good shape. what im not sure of is using a piston that was being used in a b16 already or would they need to be brand new?

4) it would be going into an ls integra a 94 most likely but could be a 93 or 92. if the wireing was all done nice, could it be easy to install as i do not like alot of electrical work light duty work i can handle but if it gets to complex im not sure i would be into that and would want the cost of that problem being done by a shop or some one else, if you can facter that into the overall cost that your going to quote me inless you think i can handle it

5) i know its in bad taste to ask this type of question being that i know theres alot to factor in but i think this has been done enough to were i could get a good idea/responce from you guys: what type of hp might i be looking at with this set up? i intend on keeping the cams as they are with the b16 head as long as it isint a problem! i would like to keep it simple ya know..oh yeah is there block work that needs to be done to use the b16 pistons? i was thinking back now to all i read and i dont rememebr reading anything like that?

ps. thanks ahead for any help, info, or intpu

one last thing thats very important (WILL THIS SMOG?) im in C.A.

You might want to have an engine shop build your bottom end and do the valve seats on your head for you. That way, they can check all the clearances on your mains and rods, take care of hanging your pistons on the rods correctly, and making sure your bottom end is solid. As far as the head goes, once a machine shop does the valve seats, you can assemble it yourself and put it on the block. The most that's involved there is torque specs.

I would just get a new set of pistons and rings. The compression height is the same on all the B16 and B18 pistons (1.181"), so you can pretty much use whatever pistons you want to get the compression you're looking for with the LS rods and LS crank in an LS block. ITR pistons would be good. They come in standard and .25mm oversize and are under $300 for the pistons and the rings.

The PR3 head (Civic Si) has a slightly larger combustion chamber than a GSR (P72) head, so your compression will be about .2 lower with the PR3 head. The stock Si cams are fairly small. A set of stock GSR cams would be better. ITR or CTR cams could be good. If you go ITR or CTR, use ITR or aftermarket springs and retainers.

For the oil supply for the VTEC head from the LS block, consider using the Golden Eagle kit. It's basically an adapter that sandwiches between the block and the oil filter. We have used it on our engines, and it always works great. It provides filtered oil to the head and also gives you a port for an oil pressure gauge, which I highly recommend using. They also provide all the required fittings and all you have to do is buy an AN -6 line for the right length, depending on how you want to run it. They're about $100.
GEOilAdapter.gif

The wiring shouldn't be too bad. You'll basically need to run a lead for the VTEC solenoid. The rest of it is fairly easy as far as plugging in sensors.

An LS/VTEC setup like that in a pre-96 integra with a P72 ecu will pass emissions. A good idea for the ECU might be to get a P72, get a Hondata setup on it, then just run a switch to the J1 jumper in the ECU. If you hit the switch, you'll run the Hondata performance program. Then when you shut off the switch, you'll run the stock Acura Integra GSR program, which shouldn't have any problems with emissions.

dude that's alot of great very specific info that i had not came across befor, thanks alot. if any one else has any input on this feel free. i am also now looking at the idea od a hatch back..say 93 an up with a 2gen si motor, what do you guys think of that idea? im not going for balls out perfomance but would like to hold my own and win some races though when it comes to the suspention i would like a some what balls out perfomance so if you can include that in your thoughts and replys.

alright here is the deal with smogging an LS/VTEC. In california what you have done to the motor does not mean as much as what the serial # and model # of the block reads. I have talked to a couple of people with smog legal LS/Vtec motors. Two of the three people I have talked to have installed the LS motor first and got the bar sticker with the LS motor. Then one they recieved the sticker they did the head swap and all the necessary bottom end work for their set ups. The stick says 1.8l acura motor with the serial # and model # on the block and no smog station guy is going to question you about your head if your codes on your block match your sticker.
Also one guy who I have spoken with just did the LS/VTEC swap and went to a smog station not knowing that it was a illegal swap in California. The reffing station treated the motor like it was a GSR and the stamp says 1.8l acura motor. Vin#------- . So there are ways to get it done, it can sometimes just take a little working of the system.
Good Luck man...

Not to hijack the thread, but I have some questions as well. Next weekend im putting in my b18b into my 92vx hatch. Its gonna stay that way for awhile, but I'm looking into the lsvtec in the future. I dont need a balls out build but I want something reliable. Would a b16/b18c type r head, with a b16/b18c type r tranny, and p73 pistons work? The engine as of now has only 30,000 miles on it, and its in good shape so I hope the stock ls rods would hold up. I dont need anything that'll rev to 8k or anything like that, but i just want some balls on the ls engine. Would this set up be decent/reliable as long as it wasn't driven crazy????

Back