some noob-ish questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JR3

I bought a 93 civic Si (I'm in Canada, I don't know if theres any difference between canadian and american models...but I thought i'd state this just to be sure) for a whopping $400. It needs a clutch and most likely a flywheel and I'm thinking about replacing the engine... it's in rough shape. It has over 220 thousand KMs on it and I had it looked at before I bought it and turns out an exhaust valve is miss-firing or not working at all. Needless to say this thing needs some work. I think i'm an idiot for buying it and not knowing much about cars. So I thought i'd come to some people who know what they're talking about, because obviously I don't.

So basically I need to fix this thing,cheap. I'm in school and only work part-time so the cheaper the better. I need to know whether or not buying a clutch kit and a flywheel from someplace like PartSource would be a good idea. Or should I just try to find an engine-tranny combo.

Last but certainly not least is the engine, something do-able on a budget. I really don't care about my quarter mile times or 0-60 (... :cry:) well not now at least (I'm still a man dammit). I just care about getting this thing running, and keeping it that way.

I found a pretty good site (I think) with engines and parts: (Tiger Japanese Auto Parts Ltd. - Your source for all JDM engines, transmissions and more...)

This place is based in Toronto (about an hour away from where I live) so if there's anything worth while I could easily make the drive.

and more specifically I found this:
HEADING_TITLE

This looks like everything I need, except the linkage (the shifter in this thing is sloppy as hell). I need to know if this engine will fit in my car and if it does, then how much custom work will have to be done (if any) or if there is engine mounts that I can buy for this set-up. Since i'm on a budget i'll most likely try to just find a stock engine replacement.

Any help would be appreciated, try to keep in mind that i'm admittedly a noob and don't know fuck about shit. Thanks for your time.

Your best bet is to get a low mileage JDM engine. I would stick to D-series because it's easier, cheaper, and you get more power for you money (specifically the D16Z6 or OBD1 ZC equivalent). No custom work, just get a complete motor/tranny and drop it right in. Go ahead and get a VTEC engine even if you're not going to hook up the VTEC at first. Later you can get a P28 (VTEC ECU), plug it in, and run the wire to the VTEC solenoid. But in the meantime it will run fine w/out VTEC hooked up. Anything else you need, get at the junkyard. When you get more money, you can buy a turbo kit for about the price of a B series swap and be able to smoke B series engines.

Sounds like you got a smokin deal depending on what the currency exchange rate is. Even if that's like $600 US, not bad for a shell that you don't have to tow home.

It's about $360 USD. I got it from my sisters boyfriend, apparently he's more of a broke-ass than I am...
It turns out I have an uncle and cousin who are willing to help me get this thing going. All i have to do is supply the parts and i think the labour will either be free or dirt cheap :) I'm confident in their work since i've seen what they can do (A monster truck jeep wrangler, monster truck suburban, some big-assed chevy engine into a late eighties rx7)...ramblings....

Back to business, would it be at all worth it to try to keep the engine thats in it now? when i'm barely working 20 hours a week it's gonna be a long time before i can dough out for an engine/tranny.
and now onto the clutch...I've seen a few exedy clutch/flywheel kits on ebay that are cheaper than the (clutch only) kits sold at PartSource... are these ones any good?
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-Clutch-OEM-Flywheel-92-04-CIVIC-DEL-SOL-SOHC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ005QQitemZ150025565165

and finally.. does anyone know where I can find a damn linkage?

Back