something is wrong with my B!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

so I have had the swap in now for about 3k miles and haven't had any problems with the exception of the ecu throwing the code 23 for the knock sensor a couple times.
today I was on my way back to work and as I was pulling away from an intersection I wasn't thinking about driving and began pulling away in 3rd, I realized this and quickly shifted into 1st and when I gave it gas the engine just started to die... it did die and I couldn't get it started back up

it was throwing two codes when I got it off of the road
1. 23 knock sensor (not concerned about this)
2. #3 MAP sensor, this one I am worried about but not sure what to do about it

all the fluids are in good order and I had just filled up on gas about 5 miles before this happened. the starter is working fine (timing belt is ok too as far as I know because the started sounds normal)

it would fire like one cylander and then nothing again, now it's sitting outside my mechanics shop untill tomorrow when he can look at it?

what could be wrong?
ignition?
fuel?
timing?
something map sensor related?

please help if you know anything about this
thanks

Sean

not sure about the knock code
I'm guessing the knock sensor wiring might be bad, because that is all that code 23 means isn't it? that is why I haven't really been worried about getting that code a few times

is it possible that I got bad gas when I filled up today?

pull off your distro cap and check out your rotor and cap. i broke 2 rotors in a matter of 6 months.

Originally posted by B16@Sep 3 2003, 04:38 PM
pull off your distro cap and check out your rotor and cap. i broke 2 rotors in a matter of 6 months.

do they just break for the hell of it? or is there something that causes that?

I think it is probably an ignition problem, but I don't understand why it would through a code for the map sensor

I will check it though

anybody else have guesses? I'd like to check as many things as possible after work today and see if I can solve the problem before my mechanic goes on the clock tomorrow

well, first time it broke i was driving at about 8600 rpm and it just snapped. last time it broke was after my accident and it had been sitting for a few days, not sure what caused it really though that 2nd time.

yeah, well I'll check it for sure so that I can at least eliminate that as a possibility?

any more thoughts guys? just throw out anything and everything that could possibly be causing this so I can make a checklist before I head over there after work

I'll be here for a while though cause it took the tow truck about an hour and a half to get to me today (I have AAA so the tow was free :) the only positive part of the whole thing)

Check the transmission ground strap. My old 93 civic just died one day after stalling at speed a couple times in previous days. Turns out whoever replaced the clutch for the previous owner didn't bolt the ground strap to the tranny.

I went and looked at it last night and my mechanic had allready started pulling things apart so there wasn't much I could do but I did see that the rotor was still in one piece, unless he allready ordered a new one. EDIT: the timing belt was still fine as well.

I'm going to call him this afternoon and see if he knows what's wrong with it, hopefully it is something minor. I really don't want to have to drop alot of money on repairs right now.

Back