1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Space Shuttle Blew Up

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by pissedoffsol, Feb 1, 2003.

1. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

2. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

yea i have been listing to it all morning. CBS first talked about it after they had lost comunications for 15 minutes and starting reporting when the shuttle had been 2 minutes late for landing. Scary stuff. They were saying that the panels were emmiting a toxic fume that would form a membrane in your lungs causing suffication within 48 hours. All you in texas, stay away from that stuff, stay smart, stay safe.

3. MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer Senior Member

That is super sad...

4. La_Pieuvre

La_Pieuvre Senior Member

My mom heard the boom this morning, it shook all the doors in the house...Apparently most of Dallas heard it too... That sucks
    Sad story indeed :(

5. cxjon

cxjon Senior Member

there playing it on walmart tv right now :(

6. Capt. Orygun

Capt. Orygun Win the Day

that's really horrible, not only in itself but we have peple in the space station we were supposed to make a delivery to in May (I think it's May). When the Challenger went, the space program haulted for two years. Considering the complexity of the job Nasa does, 14 dead astronaughts really istn't that bad. I'm not saying this isn't a big deal, but I still have faith in the space program.

7. Prowler

Prowler Super Moderator

Just another loss in the search for scientific knowledge. It is very sad. Take a moment to think about the austronauts's families.

:(

8. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

The delivery part is not the biggest deal, the russians use unmaned rockets for alot of the supply deliveries. Also there are excape pods on the spacestation for excape. The major problem is how to get a new crew up there. The funding for the space program in the past decade has gone down the tubes and something like this makes shit even worse. They are saying that the debris feild is hundreds of miles long.

9. SnailOnARampage

SnailOnARampage Senior Member

last time this happened, they were taking a teacher into space. they were just getting ready to start taking teachers into space again....maybe thats a bad idea ;)

10. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Any loss is bad. they need to make the space crafts somewhat safer or something, like put the astronauts in another capsule inside the spacecraft; like how a rollcage works. they said some debris caused it to blow up or something.

11. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

i highly doubt it would do much for them entering the atmosphere at mach 6 (6 times the speed of sound) at that point, i dont think there is much else that can be done to make them safer.

it is a very sad thing, i woke up to it on the news this morning, my prayers go out to the astornaughts and their families.

12. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

make them safer?? i personally think 2 accidents in 23 years is a pretty good record

13. 2 litre EG

2 litre EG Senior Member

it is very sad what happened this morning... but E_SolSi is right... we can't do too much to make them any safer... 2 accidents in 17 years isn't bad... cause i do believe it was in 1986 the other shuttle blew up right after launch :(

14. BodyDroppedNikes

BodyDroppedNikes ...PENDEJO.... VIP

yeah its sad they didnt make it back home. i pray for their families.

my one concern is this: one of the members of the crew was an Israeli. do ya think he may have done something to have caused this? this is my thought...any takers on this??

15. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Come on now :( I feel sorry for the families of the astronauts.

They weren't exactly going fifty down the interstate buddy.

16. Capt. Orygun

Capt. Orygun Win the Day

I doubt it. I don't see them ruining the crowning moment of their space program so they can throw a wrench into the works of their ally. Just crazy unreal. It sounds like they already know what caused it. One of the external fuel tanks chipped the tiles on the wing during take of. Causeing a "Zipper effect" during landing, I'm no scientist (let alone a rocket scientist) but it seems believeable enough.

17. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

18. gupta_p

gupta_p Senior Member

trailer park, no.... i think you're a victim of a war-sensationalized media propoganda effort. CNN keeps talking about how there were 6 people and 1 israeli, and I can't stand it. Not only do they dehumanize israelis, but they make people more scared about retarded terrorism stuff. Well, if CNN had said that Terrorism Elves had hijacked the shuttle, I'd have totally believed them. Oh well.

Moreover, It was probably just a malfunction of the wing (hydraulics were blamed in some reports) upon reentry. (Once again, the Terrorism Elves story is plasuible in this situation too)

If our media cares so much about race, why don't they mention that one of the astronauts was an Indian?

It's a sad day in NASA history. Hopefully we can move on quickly, and continue sending people into space without any wait. Lets not have another challenger backlash.

19. slohnda

slohnda Senior Member

i dont think a rollcage from 200,000 feet and 1-42395634208mph is going to be very effective, imho.
    accidents happen.. it's very unfortunate, but nasa has a remarkable track record for doing this for as long as they have. being an astronaut is a dangerous job, they knew the risks they were taking. my heart goes out to all of their families. :(

20. gupta_p

gupta_p Senior Member

Mach ~15 is not a very fun speed to stop at. A rollcage, or anything analogous to it, would likely not provice suffecient safety against Heat and Speed. If the outside of the space shuttle is compromised, they have some protective layers .. but if the outside has been compromised (and it's the strongest stuff, duh!), then how the heck is something inside going to provide safety?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted