Speaking of father and son Honda owners...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

d.b.cooper

Mid-life Crisis Swap
my son just wrecked the 3rd out of four corners of his CRX.

First had someone hit him in the left rear..damaged the rear bumper insert, crumpled the unibody a couple of inches, put a ripple in the back corner.

He says he tried to get the guys information but allegedly, the guy took off when he had his head in the car looking for something to write with. Didn't get a tag number.

I spent all Day a couple of Saturdays ago helping him get that straight. Had to torch some stress relief in a couple of places and pull and pound it.

Next he parked it somewhere and came out and the front left front quarter between the wheel and the tire..(Like when you turn left into a pole for example.)
Me, I would have pulled the fender off and pounded it out before my parents saw it. He still hasnt touched that yet.

Next july 4th weekend with lots of cops around he gets a speeding ticket for 85.

Today he calls to report he lost control and hit a city sign, called to ask what should he do. While he is chatting with mom, the police show up. Gets cited for speed beyond that which is reasonable and prudent.

Ruined the right front fender, tore off the front fascia, destroyed the bumper suport underneath, radiater leaking, and to add insult to injust major curb rash on the set of HF 12.5 lb alloys that I wanted for my CRX, but felt it would be mean to take his and give him my steelies.

SO, am I grounded, he asks.

His story is he was turning left, came to a complete stop to await oncomming traffic, (on a major intersection, 4-6 lanes each way) and then left, maybe a little aggressively he says, couldnt have been going more than 20 he says. Mind you CRX has near perfect weight distribution, I put decent quality tires on the thing new two months ago, its lowered on Eiback springs, and has a lot of negative camber.

I think he thinks he stopped, but in fact just slowed to 35ish, put the clutch in, downshifted to 2nd from 3rd, coasted part way through the turn and let the clutch out abruptly, causing the rear to pitch out a litlle, panicked and oversteered.

At this point, the Rusty CRX I bought to try Solo1 in, is in better shape than his. Its a shame because his DX has a fresh engine and trans, and was perfectly straight when I bought it for him. If he can't wriggle out of the ticket he is done driving. I cant afford to insure him.

thats why you dont buy a perfectly straight, clean car for a young new driver...

man, i never had to worry about tickets, i was good.

d.b.cooper said:
when I bought it for him.

I cant afford to insure him.

mistake 1 and 2 right there.

he didn't have to earn it, so he doesn't respect it.

If i were you, i'd sell the car on him.

if he wants another one, he'll have to work for it and buy one with his own hard earned minimn wage after school job money. And while i wouldn't make him get his own insurance plan (its way too much money), i would still make him pay his portion on your policy, or again, he doesn't drive.

i bought my first car when i was 17 cash for for 12,000. combined paper router money from when i was a kid and a year of working bussing tables at a retaurant.

driving is a priviliage, not a right.

Well, its well and truly dead

I looked it over this morning. It went from major negative camber from the lowering to positive camber. Theres a buldge in the center rib between the two rear wheels.

Cant tell about the front but I think its slmmed in hard too. From the skid he definately would have hit the fron tire harder than the rear, andthe rear was hard enough to total.

Good news is If I can clean up the curb rash, I have a set of HF's for my Rex, I can cut patch panels for my rusty rear wheel wells, and I get a set of Eibachs in the bargain!

I'm going to start a thread in the EF section about dropping this good motor and trans in an 84 hatch I have...Difficult I know, stupidly impossible?

Back