Speed Sensor Issue?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
Will a faulty speed sensor make my speedometer go all nutz sometimes and make the odometer stop working too?

Can it cause the check engine light to come on and affect idling?

Thx for any help

Oh yea, where is it located too?

Yeah I have the same problem, my speedometer clicks on right when I turn it on and goes up like a little tiny tiny bit and yeah odometer doesn't work, and the speedo plug in back of cluster isn't coming out either, so I think that might be it also. I have a 93 hb si. Please anyone actually have to replace a vss and know what happens when it goes bad? I have the exact same problems as this guy. The VSS is located right underneath the intake hose where it attaches to the manifold on the tranny, a big plug is coming out of it.

A friend at school used his VSS as the excuse to get out from under a speeding ticket. Told judge it was faulty and bought a new one then returned it when when ticket was dismissed. :lol:

heh, so we roamed off topic. Can anyone answer my questions from the top? B)

"Will a faulty VSS make my speedometer go all nutz sometimes and make the odometer stop working too?

Can it cause the check engine light to come on and affect idling?

Thx for any help"

ANYONE???

Actually I had replaced a tranny on a 93 Si hatchback and had forgotten to plug in the VSS plug. When I took it for a spin the odometer and speedometer were dead. Also the engine light had come on and the car's idle was very low and wanted to almost stall. After I plugged the VSS in everything worked.

So I'd say YEAH, the VSS can do all that you mentioned cuz I experienced it myself. Hopefully that answers your question.

Back