speed sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hazzardboy95

Hon-daaaa
Anyway i just got done doind a clutch pressure plate and flywheel in my 95 integra ls and i didnt disconnect the battery when i did it and when putting the trans back in i snapped off the speed sensor. I already put a new sensor in and the speedo still doesnt work so i figured i shorted something but i havnt found and fuses or anything like that. Im not sure exactly why its not working but any info would be helpful. It was a newb mistake and now im paying for it.

i put a new cluster in it and another ecu and the guage still isnt working, does anyone have any kinda idea im pretty desperate.

Yes the battery is charging, no im not getting check engine lights.

Most likely its electrical, i havnt found any kind of fuse or relay and ive changed ecu's and guage clusters. i bought the newer guage from a honda master certified gold tech of over 30 years who said he tested it before he sold it, and i dont have another another one to test. i have also taken the sensor out and re-installed it many times. I also checked for any pulled wires and none seemed to be pulled in that general area.

is it a "new" sensor or a used sensor. IIRC, they weren't that expensive used, just pick another one up and try it.

The sensor is used but the guy said he tested it before he gave it to me. And another one of those sensors is 170bucks and thats the autozone price. I would rather buy it from acura but you know its even worse form there.

there are 3 wires, as far as I know, yellow , orange , and black,

there should be voltage on the yellow that comes from a relay, and orange goes to b10 on the ECU, and to the guage as orange, if you have a tester, check ohms between plug(orange) and the orange in gauge ! and check for voltage on yellow wire ,

Not disconnecting the battery will not affect your speed sensor. The circuit is open when the ignition key is in the 'off' position. Infact, that circuit stays open until the key is in the 'start' position, than it closes until the key returns to the 'off' position via the ignition switch. Replace the switch with a new one and make sure it is the correct one for your transaxle. After this is done, you must check the relay and make sure the circuit is closed when the engine is running. An easier way to do this, if you have cruise control, is to use it. See if your cruise control is operative. If it is, your speed sensor is working.

On some cars, after you replace the VSS, you have to let the engine idle for ten minutes before driving it. This allows the VSS to recalibrate. On some cars you have to disconnect the ecu for a specific period of time, then plug it back in. Try ALLDATA or even your service manual for more information.

Take it out, put it back in. Sometimes it won't seat properly.

You said no fuses were blown? Check the ALT/VSS fuse. The VSS is powered through the ICU, along with a few other things. I'm betting that the VSS is bad though. Pull it, and do a bench-test of it. Your manual will explain how to do this in detail.

Back