Speedometer & Odometer not working.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95preludesi

Hey guys, I just recently purchased an automatic 95 Prelude SI (great car, runs strong). However the only discrepancy that I have is that the Speedometer and the Odometer are not working in the car. RPM's work fine but speedometer and odometer have never worked.

So far I have already replaced the VSS (the one on top of the tranny) with a new Honda one. I have replaced the guage cluster as well (thought that might be the problem since my old guage cluster didn't emit a light when it was in D4).

I have also checked the fuse (no.23) as well and even replaced it with a new one and still no go.

I did notice that when I replaced the gauge cluster with a used one, the D4 light works but when I am driving it blinks at me. The car also throws a CEL after about 10 minutes of driving, and I threw in a jumper cable and found that it was reading a code 17 (1 long flash followed by 7 short flashes).

I also noticed that when I reached behind the center console I found 2 blue wires (1 of the blue wires was for the diagnostic connector) and 1 yellow wire. As well as 2 connectors. Anybody know what these wires are and why they are unplugged? I have included pictures as well.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m87/95p...si/DSC05285.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m87/95p...si/DSC05283.jpg

Anyway, since this car has no speedometer cable, is there anything that I am overlooking that could be the culprit of my speedometer and odometer to not work?

The only other thing I can think of is that the lower part of the VSS that resides inside the transmission might be messed up. If thats the case, do I have to drop the transmission to take out the lower part of the VSS? I am really hoping this is a simple problem since this car has already been a PITA since day 1.

which part of the VSS did you replace?
code 17 = VSS
i would get a helms manual and follow their diagnostic procedures to determine exactly whats causing the problem

Back