Split CV Boot

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

steelbuster

Has anyone ever had any luck repairing a split seam on an outer CV boot? I just added up the price from Acura to replace all the boots on my Hybrid Civic axels and it is going to be $112 in parts. :(

Real easy,drain tranny, loosen your hub bolts, jack car up, put on jackstands, remove tires, undo the lower ball joint, remove the damper fork bolt, pull out axle, cut off old CV boot,remove ring clips holding inner joint on, remove innner joint, replace with new grease, boot and bands,reinstall inner joint, replace in reverse order.

Cost, about $10 for each boot kit.

yeah, just take that fooker off and take it to any axle shop, they rebuild them really cheap..don't let acura fuck you in the ass mang..

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Sep 13 2003, 07:26 AM
Real easy,drain tranny, loosen your hub bolts, jack car up, put on jackstands, remove tires, undo the lower ball joint, remove the damper fork bolt, pull out axle, cut off old CV boot,remove ring clips holding inner joint on, remove innner joint, replace with new grease, boot and bands,reinstall inner joint, replace in reverse order.

why drain the tranny?

i replaced 2 cv boots on my bros car, and there was no need to do that.

Originally posted by eyesonlybob+Sep 14 2003, 03:18 AM-->
@Sep 13 2003, 07:26 AM

why drain the tranny?

i replaced 2 cv boots on my bros car, and there was no need to do that.

Ok, good for you, still should drain and change it, if nothing else to keep the area cleaner when you remove the axles. If you're doing just outer CV boots and want to work with them in the tranny, ok then don't your call.

OK, Thanks guys for the response, but that isn't really what I was asking. I have REPLACED CV boots many times and 92B16vx is right on the money...it's a no brainer...
What I was asking is about REPAIRING the glue togeather seam on the boot thats on the car now. Someone else replaced the boot with one of those that you put on and then glue the seam togeather. The boot is in very good shape except that seam is seperating and I was just wondering about trying to glue it back togeather...Probably a lost cause , but that was the question.
By the way, the $112 at Acura is for the boots, bands, grease, new stop rings,new circlips,and new bands for the Damper Weights which have to be removed to change the boots......which leads to the next question.
Are the Damper Weights necessary? Raxels said to remove and throw in the swamp...but car runs VERY smooth with them on the axels.

leave the dampers on. shafts have some thing called a 'critical speed'. this critical speed is the first harmonic of the shaft, so when it hits this speed, its gonna start to oscillate. adding a mass concentric to the shaft increases its critical speed.

on another note, take your axles to a rebuild shop. i paid 15 for each axle to have them regreased with new boots and straps.

Sounds good on the dampers and taking them to the shop for $15 for grease and boots :D sounds VERY good just to get out of a filthy job.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Sep 13 2003, 07:26 AM
remove the damper fork bolt

You do not have to remove the damper fork from the LCA, the CV will slide through it, at least on an integra it will...

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3+Sep 24 2003, 06:22 PM-->
@Sep 13 2003, 07:26 AM
remove the damper fork bolt

You do not have to remove the damper fork from the LCA, the CV will slide through it, at least on an integra it will...

If you read the whole thing, you'll see that is to remove the axle as a whole, to make it easier to work on.

Yes I know, I am saying you do not have to take off the strut at all... at least not on an (90-93) Integra you dont, I may be wrong as this is concerning a Civic, but you do nothave to unbolt the lower portion of the Strut from the LCA... I am not arguing with anyone, just stating what I know based on my experience...

whohh guys...i think we got off track here. We were talking about the harmonic damper weights found on some axels such as my 1990 SiR JDM , not the Shock/dampers....

Back