Spoon Sport chipped p30

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lnxmad

Dipper
I just got a JDM B16a swap from jdmsource. I could tell the ecu was not a virgin. Looked inside and to my surprise. What looks to be an authentic Spoon Sport chip sitting there. I think it could be making my car run a little rich. At idle the rpms fluxuate a little. Not alot just a little 100-150 idle bounce, slow and not really pattern like. You can also smell fuel. Could it be a vacuum line? What should I do?

Last edited:
gas smell

i had a 1995 integra ls that had a gas smell and it was a small leak in one of the injectors..really smally leak..when i drove it all i smelt was gas..check the injectors rubber rings..thanks devan

its most likely a cheap eBay chip that making you run rich and thats whats causing the smell of gas

well, its was probably chipped w/ a cheapo eBay chip.. all it needs is a sticker and the average customer doesnt know the difference

Well i just called jdmsource. He said that he knew it came with a spoon chip and its 100% real. All it does it remove 120mph speed limit and engage vtec more agressive. He said I should check my timing. ...no idea how to do that.

I think he doesnt know what hes talking about. I think that chip is just loading up fuel and making vtec hit hard. Also running me out a half tank of gas in a day.

i'm telling you.. its a cheapo eGay chip and its making you run really rich.. thats why your gas disappears so fast

lol yea its pissing me off. It looks real, it doesnt just say Spoon white with black letters. Its like green with Spoon Sports on it and says p30 and some other lettering on it

Would the chip cause radical idling? not alot of bounce, just a little bit, stays under 1k. It also backfires at times. Hesitates around 2.5k

nope, nothing like it. It looks ....i dont know, looks Japaneese...if that makes sense.

Could the chip cause radical idling? not alot of bounce, just a little bit, stays under 1k. It also backfires at times. Hesitates around 2.5k

yea, I checked all the vacum lines, couldnt find a leak. havnt checked the fuel line. Im gonna just call jdmsource..again and tell him to send me a virgin ecu

Do you have access to another p30 ecu? Before you assume it's the ecu...make sure it works with another. I also think you mean erratic idle or ranging, wandering, or surging idle.

I was thinking of hooking up my p28. See if the idling problem goes away. It will run alot leaner, but right now its running waay to rich

I still lean towards a mis-routed or leaking vacuum line. The problem tends to only occur at idle and get better with rpm...along with running rich at idle. Both could be explained by a vacuum leak or vacuum line hooked up improperly. I wouldn't necessarily condemn the ecu until I knew that was the absolute problem.

Back