Spring Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondagirl

I just got new H & R springs this weekend, got em put on my 03 civic. And now when you drive it over a bump or turn, it makes a kindof like clunking, or popping sound. Its only the front ones, and the passenger side is worse. They are the right ones and are installed right. I dont know what the problem is. If anyone knows how to fix it or what to do PLEASE HELP!!

sounds like your strut mounts could be loose, are you sure thier installed correctly, also take a jack and jack your car up and see if the spring still has tension between the perch at the bottom of the strut and the mount at the top, i have to strut mount rubbers in my rear strut mounts which cause there to be slackand make the same noise you are describing.

Alright, i'll take a look n see if thats the problem. I'll let u know then. Im pretty sure they r tightened though.
Thanks!
:spin:

cut your bumpstops.
don't forget the sleave that's in the top of the strut rod inside the bushings of the strut mount.
make sure teh rear springs are lined up when you lower your car from a jack. there isn't enough spring to keep it in place when it's up in the air.

Alright, got em looked at, they are in, tightened, and the way they should be, perfect. They said it could possibly (not for sure) be my bearing plate or something like that. I have 3 choices, take em off, try some type of rubber stopper on the end, or take them off n put stock back on or new bearing plates which may not make a difference and just cost me more money. When i called the place where i got em, the guy said that they have had that problem w/ the h&r's making noise. So, maybe i'll just try a different spring like eibach or something then. This really sucks though. :angry:
If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

bearing plate? WTF is that? in my years of dealign cars, i have never ever heard of a car having bearing PLATES, let alone BEARINGS, in suspension parts.

i suggest you find a shop who has a clue.

Yeah, i'm 100% sure they are.
And i think they called it a bearing plate, something like that. They said honda has had problems with them. I'll find out wtf they said then. I though that was it, i could be mistaken.

And actually it is a bearing plate, it is above the spring, it is also called a bearing mount or bearing shock mount or just shock mount. So, now you know there is such a thing. Call a honda place is you still think i'm wrong.
But thanks for trying to help i guess.
;)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 11 2003, 08:09 AM
bearing plate? WTF is that? in my years of dealign cars, i have never ever heard of a car having bearing PLATES, let alone BEARINGS, in suspension parts.

i suggest you find a shop who has a clue.

My suspension has bearings up top.. aka pillow ball mounts. :p

Back