1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spun bearing LS still good 4 LS/VTEC?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Samuels, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Samuels

Samuels Senior Member

I have a 91 LS motor that i've had for awhile that spun a bearing back in 1999 but has been sitting after removal since then. I had'nt even given it much thought until my mechanic suggested a LS/VTEC today because I was complaining about low end torque.

I told him about my motor but he said it would be better to get a 90-94 teggy motor that runs bring it to him. He said he'd pull my b16 put my b16 pistons in the LS block then slap my head on and reinstall for 1k. He said he'd charge 450 to install the LS/Vtec and 550 to pull and reinstall He said after spinning a bearing it increases the risk of it happening again,he also said it'd be expensive having the crank turned and so on.

Can I just gradually rebuild this LS bottom end to make it reliable for a LS/Vtec? I can take it to local machine shops myself. Do I need aftermarket Rods,pistons etc to make this thing reliable or are LS/Vtec's just impossible to be reliable.

What can of power can I can obtain with a gen 1 b16 head all the bolts on's and CTR intake cam on a 91 LS block?

Should I raise compression?

My mechanic was saying this was the cheapest way to obtain torque instead of rebuilding my b16.

2. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

i would build the ls-vtec, just replace the bearings, use the b16 pistons and get some arp rod bolts. i would also inspect the rest of it to make sure nothing else got damaged when the bearing spun. honda tuning had a ls-vtec that spun a bearing and they rebuild it the same way. as far as i know its still running. reliability is in your wallet. spend a little more and make sure its built right.

3. Samuels

Samuels Senior Member

So what would be the cheapest way to do this useing my LS motor with the spun bearing?

Can I take the LS block to my local machine shop and they tell me everything that needs to be replaced? Should I turn the crank etc?

And if I decide to buy aftermarket rods,pistons etc what needs to be bought because that will be atleast a 6 month project?

Should I raise the compression alot with aftermarket pistons or go with some CTR pistons?

Can I obtain 175hp 130tq on this setup?

4. Samuels

Samuels Senior Member

What would the CR be with my gen 1 b16 pistons in the LS block with my b16 head?

What can of HP and TQ numbers can a really basic setup net?

How about the CR with CTR pistons?

Sorry for being a newb but I am with engine internals. I'm gonna tear this LS motor apart and get me a manuel and try to learn something. I can do a basic swap or even pull a head but have never tried to work on or learn much about internals.

My b16 runs great and am very happy after putting in the CTR cam. I'm hoping this LS motor is good to use and can get this thing ready over a few months before having it put together.

So I need all brand new rod bearings,ARP rod bolts. Should I buy aftermarket rods or get these shotpeened or just get factory replacements? Should I have my crank turned,knifed any of that?

And how hard is the LS/Vtec to do with the Eagle conversion kit?

Please any advice so I can try to do it right the 1st time.

5. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

I suggest CTR's

6. Samuels

Samuels Senior Member

So a machine shop should be able to tell me what needs to be done even if their mostly v8 guys?

My mechanic was saying that the older teggy engines were better because of something to do with oil return or something crazy i'm a newb.

What about some of the other questions like CR? I have 93 octane here and even 94 at some places.

7. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

It's a kit, it comes with instructions, just dont uhm, install the adapter on backwards, if you do this it will prevent oil flow to the head. Ask civicous, he'll tell ya.

8. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

9. Samuels

Samuels Senior Member

Thanks man did see your edited post.

Did'nt no I would need to change ECU's that sounds like alot of money? Is the EMS really neccessary?

Your option for EMS how much would it cost?

I'm thinking about getting the CTR pistons off hondamotors where I got the cam from. The pistons come ring free so should I just get OEM? Shotpeened stock rods and ARP head and rod bolts. All new Oem gaskets,seals and rod bearings. That is the plan I think for the bottom end

Will the machine shop know if my crank needs turned,balanced,knifed or if its weakened?

10. noshow

noshow Member

if your b16 is in good cond. sell it build the lower end find a used Gsr head put on it you should have about 165-170 hp and about 1500 in ls motor sell the b16 for what ever you can

11. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

It spun a bearing, there is damage and if the shop doesnt know/see it... take it somewhere else.

Brian

12. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

This means downtime. I dont think he wants downtime.

13. noshow

noshow Member

sorry build the ls with a gsr head

14. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

so basically you are saying... to just buy a GSR head... continue building the LS bottom end, then slap a GSR head on it? That's not a bad idea either. With CTR pistons his CR is 12.27:1. That's high...

Brian

15. noshow

noshow Member

i would recomend having the crank spun its the reason you spun the bearing had same problem

16. Samuels

Samuels Senior Member

I don't really want to find a GSR head especially with everyone being shady anymore. I'd be better off just buying the whole GSR engine and just slapping it in.

With this LS motor I can build the block over a few months then when ready swap it out.

I'm almost have tempted to just tech43 my b16in a way? What would be the cost thier?

What are the advantages of his b16 kit vs a LS/Vtec b16 and disadvantages?

17. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

What the fuck is TECH43? If you rebuild the B16 you basically can skip some of the machine work. but it isnt going to be much cheaper.

18. Samuels

Samuels Senior Member

Its a kit a guy makes on another board. Basically it makes your b16 a 1.9L useing your block and some custom pistons and I think LS something or another.. Not exactly sure though about the details but lots of people are raving about it.

19. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

I wouldnt do it.

Brian

20. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

Re-he-he-he-heeeeeeeaaaallllly

[/Ace Ventura]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted