Spun bearing LS still good 4 LS/VTEC?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Samuels

I have a 91 LS motor that i've had for awhile that spun a bearing back in 1999 but has been sitting after removal since then. I had'nt even given it much thought until my mechanic suggested a LS/VTEC today because I was complaining about low end torque.

I told him about my motor but he said it would be better to get a 90-94 teggy motor that runs bring it to him. He said he'd pull my b16 put my b16 pistons in the LS block then slap my head on and reinstall for 1k. He said he'd charge 450 to install the LS/Vtec and 550 to pull and reinstall He said after spinning a bearing it increases the risk of it happening again,he also said it'd be expensive having the crank turned and so on.

Can I just gradually rebuild this LS bottom end to make it reliable for a LS/Vtec? I can take it to local machine shops myself. Do I need aftermarket Rods,pistons etc to make this thing reliable or are LS/Vtec's just impossible to be reliable.

What can of power can I can obtain with a gen 1 b16 head all the bolts on's and CTR intake cam on a 91 LS block?

Should I raise compression?

My mechanic was saying this was the cheapest way to obtain torque instead of rebuilding my b16.

i would build the ls-vtec, just replace the bearings, use the b16 pistons and get some arp rod bolts. i would also inspect the rest of it to make sure nothing else got damaged when the bearing spun. honda tuning had a ls-vtec that spun a bearing and they rebuild it the same way. as far as i know its still running. reliability is in your wallet. spend a little more and make sure its built right.

So what would be the cheapest way to do this useing my LS motor with the spun bearing?

Can I take the LS block to my local machine shop and they tell me everything that needs to be replaced? Should I turn the crank etc?

And if I decide to buy aftermarket rods,pistons etc what needs to be bought because that will be atleast a 6 month project?

Should I raise the compression alot with aftermarket pistons or go with some CTR pistons?

Can I obtain 175hp 130tq on this setup?

What would the CR be with my gen 1 b16 pistons in the LS block with my b16 head?

What can of HP and TQ numbers can a really basic setup net?

How about the CR with CTR pistons?

Sorry for being a newb but I am with engine internals. I'm gonna tear this LS motor apart and get me a manuel and try to learn something. I can do a basic swap or even pull a head but have never tried to work on or learn much about internals.

My b16 runs great and am very happy after putting in the CTR cam. I'm hoping this LS motor is good to use and can get this thing ready over a few months before having it put together.

So I need all brand new rod bearings,ARP rod bolts. Should I buy aftermarket rods or get these shotpeened or just get factory replacements? Should I have my crank turned,knifed any of that?

And how hard is the LS/Vtec to do with the Eagle conversion kit?

Please any advice so I can try to do it right the 1st time.

Originally posted by Samuels+Mar 26 2005, 08:29 PM-->
I told him about my motor but he said it would be better to get a 90-94 teggy motor that runs bring it to him

90-94 LS' are not special. the are more or less identical. Major differences are in the heads. Bottom ends are all the same. Same CR, same Rods, Pistons, Cranks... everything aside from electronics are the same. They are basically the same as the rest of the LS's. I really think your mechanic sucks. Using the LS with a spun bearing is not bad at all. Depending on damage done, you can more than likely have the crank machined or polished. And it will be alright. But if you doubt the crank to be good and everything else on the block checks out, get a new crank, dont pay more than $75 for it.

Originally posted by Samuels@Mar 26 2005, 08:56 PM
So what would be the cheapest way to do this useing my LS motor with the spun bearing?

You want Reliability... and Cheap? No can do.

Can I take the LS block to my local machine shop and they tell me everything that needs to be replaced? Should I turn the crank etc?

Do it if it needs it.

And if I decide to buy aftermarket rods,pistons etc what needs to be bought because that will be atleast a 6 month project?

What do you mean?

Samuels
@Mar 26 2005, 08:56 PM
Should I raise the compression alot with aftermarket pistons or go with some CTR pistons?

I suggest CTR's

So a machine shop should be able to tell me what needs to be done even if their mostly v8 guys?

My mechanic was saying that the older teggy engines were better because of something to do with oil return or something crazy i'm a newb.

What about some of the other questions like CR? I have 93 octane here and even 94 at some places.

Originally posted by Samuels+Mar 26 2005, 08:56 PM-->
Can I obtain 175hp 130tq on this setup?
Im sure it's possible. I mean there are so many variables to obtaining power. You do realize you are going to need some sort of EMS if you up the compression. If you decide to run a PR3 or PW0 ECU (OBD0) those ECU's are only programmed to run 10.4:1... with the B16 pistons a B16 head and your LS blcok you're looking at 11.xx:1 Compression. I mean, its not going to run correctly with out it. My suggestions on that ----- OBD1 Conversion, Jumper Harness, OBD1 ECU (P28) and Hondata.

Originally posted by Samuels@Mar 27 2005, 01:08 AM
What would the CR be with my gen 1 b16 pistons in the LS block with my b16 head?

Its something around 11:1

What can of HP and TQ numbers can a really basic setup net?

Too many variables to determine that.

How about the CR with CTR pistons?

A little above/below 12:1

Sorry for being a newb but I am with engine internals. I'm gonna tear this LS motor apart and get me a manuel and try to learn something. I can do a basic swap or even pull a head but have never tried to work on or learn much about internals.

We've all got to start somewhere, no? Get the manual before tearing it down. Label everything, even if you arent going to reuse it.

My b16 runs great and am very happy after putting in the CTR cam. I'm hoping this LS motor is good to use and can get this thing ready over a few months before having it put together.

Get a Plan and Purchase parts before you tear anything apart. Especially pulling your engine, make sure you've got all parts needed for the build.

So I need all brand new rod bearings,ARP rod bolts. Should I buy aftermarket rods or get these shotpeened or just get factory replacements? Should I have my crank turned,knifed any of that?

You'll need all new OEM Gaskets, Main and Rod bearings, Thrust Washers. You will need plenty of HondaBond and assembly lubes. About hte rods, if you get Forged Pistons, you'll need forged rods as well. I dont think you can use OEM Rods with aftermarket pistons and vice versa. If you do plan to use OEM pistons, just get your rods balanced and shot peened. Then purchase the ARP rod bolt and head stud kits. It's cheap insurance.

Samuels
@Mar 27 2005, 01:08 AM
And how hard is the LS/Vtec to do with the Eagle conversion kit?

It's a kit, it comes with instructions, just dont uhm, install the adapter on backwards, if you do this it will prevent oil flow to the head. Ask civicous, he'll tell ya.

Thanks man did see your edited post.

Did'nt no I would need to change ECU's that sounds like alot of money? Is the EMS really neccessary?

Your option for EMS how much would it cost?

I'm thinking about getting the CTR pistons off hondamotors where I got the cam from. The pistons come ring free so should I just get OEM? Shotpeened stock rods and ARP head and rod bolts. All new Oem gaskets,seals and rod bearings. That is the plan I think for the bottom end

Will the machine shop know if my crank needs turned,balanced,knifed or if its weakened?

if your b16 is in good cond. sell it build the lower end find a used Gsr head put on it you should have about 165-170 hp and about 1500 in ls motor sell the b16 for what ever you can

Originally posted by Samuels+Mar 27 2005, 01:46 AM-->
Thanks man did see your edited post.

Originally posted by Samuels+-->
Samuels) said:
Did'nt no I would need to change ECU's that sounds like alot of money? Is the EMS really neccessary?

Originally posted by Samuels
Your option for EMS how much would it cost?

OBD conversion (harness, 2-4 wire O2 sensors...) = $150-200, Hondata + P28 = $345, Dyno/Tune Time - $400

Samuels
@
I'm thinking about getting the CTR pistons off hondamotors where I got the cam from. The pistons come ring free so should I just get OEM? Shotpeened stock rods and ARP head and rod bolts. All new Oem gaskets,seals and rod bearings. That is the plan I think for the bottom end

Sounds good. Just buy shit slowly, dont buy it all at once.

Samuels

Will the machine shop know if my crank needs turned,balanced,knifed or if its weakened?

It spun a bearing, there is damage and if the shop doesnt know/see it... take it somewhere else.

Brian

Originally posted by noshow@Mar 27 2005, 01:49 AM
if your b16 is in good cond. sell it build the lower end find a used Gsr head put on it you should have about 165-170 hp and about 1500 in ls motor sell the b16 for what ever you can

This means downtime. I dont think he wants downtime.

Originally posted by noshow@Mar 27 2005, 01:49 AM
[post=479261]Quoted post[/post]​

sorry build the ls with a gsr head

so basically you are saying... to just buy a GSR head... continue building the LS bottom end, then slap a GSR head on it? That's not a bad idea either. With CTR pistons his CR is 12.27:1. That's high...

Brian

Originally posted by noshow+Mar 27 2005, 01:53 AM-->
@Mar 27 2005, 01:49 AM
[post=479261]Quoted post[/post]​

sorry build the ls with a gsr head
[post=479265]Quoted post[/post]​

i would recomend having the crank spun its the reason you spun the bearing had same problem

I don't really want to find a GSR head especially with everyone being shady anymore. I'd be better off just buying the whole GSR engine and just slapping it in.

With this LS motor I can build the block over a few months then when ready swap it out.

I'm almost have tempted to just tech43 my b16in a way? What would be the cost thier?

What are the advantages of his b16 kit vs a LS/Vtec b16 and disadvantages?

What the fuck is TECH43? If you rebuild the B16 you basically can skip some of the machine work. but it isnt going to be much cheaper.

Its a kit a guy makes on another board. Basically it makes your b16 a 1.9L useing your block and some custom pistons and I think LS something or another.. Not exactly sure though about the details but lots of people are raving about it.

Originally posted by Samuels@Mar 27 2005, 11:06 AM
Its a kit a guy makes on another board. Basically it makes your b16 a 1.9L useing your block and some custom pistons and I think LS something or another.. Not exactly sure though about the details but lots of people are raving about it.
[post=479331]Quoted post[/post]​

Re-he-he-he-heeeeeeeaaaallllly

[/Ace Ventura]

Back