Spur of the moment home renovation.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well, I know I wasn't scammed. I went up to them, they said a check was ok, and no left over stuff. They were waiting for me, and I was waiting for them on occations. It was a fast job, but they had all the proper machines, turned the burners on an hour before the truck with the hot stuff came, and they used plenty of water to cool the machines and foot boots. the guys busted so much ass, that just watching them...my back was killing me. They did leave a pile of sand, but they were not ther to landscape...but to build a driveway. After watching the whole process, and watching how much they busted ass....I kinda felt bad for only giving them what I paid. It looks soo good that I ran in and got a coke for them, and set out a few corona's if they wanted them. The company is a family owned business, in operation for over 25 years. And the neighbor that contracted them waited about 2 weeks before they could get to him. the Name of the company is Mid-State-Paving...Owner Nick Williams, and Licence num, 575852...now since I posted that...I got to go back and delete a few prices. But I'll let them stay a while....So I can gloat. :laugh:

Anyways...I had a little time to upload the pics.....

The gallery....

well, i have some tips as my old man had a HUGE blacktop driveway and was anal about it since it cost him a ton everytime he needed to get it redone

1, sealer is your friend...
the job sucks balls and you'll hate every second of it, but your work pays off in the end...

2, oil and gas will destroy the blacktop, along with plows etc...
i used to have to wash the driveway with warm water and dawn dish detergant if i got oil on it...

yup....last place I lived at had a car that lost an oilfilter....while driving on it.... :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
well, i have some tips as my old man had a HUGE blacktop driveway and was anal about it since it cost him a ton everytime he needed to get it redone

the job sucks balls and you'll hate every second of it, but your work pays off in the end...

i used to have to wash the driveway with warm water and dawn dish detergant if i got oil on it...

Use the skis on your plows and you should never damage your driveway.

Quoted post[/post]]

NO! Do NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT Seal that driveway, it will take years of life away from your asphalt driveway. With the proper base material your driveway should last 15-20 years before it needs to be replaced, sealing it does not allow the material to breath and therefore cracks will come much easier.

Clayton, did they put any base material down? Your photo gallery wasn't working for me so I couldn't view the pics. There should be a dig out of 4 inches compacted, a 4" gravel base compacted (by rights it should have sit for a week or so, and then compacted again) and then a 6" layer of asphalt compacted down to a 4" layer of blacktop. I hope they just didn't clear the driveway (existing) and plop the asphalt on it...???

are you saying not to seal a fresh driveway? or not to use sealer at all?

at ALL!

I used to work for a construction company and paving was one of the things we did - sealing only takes away the life of the asphalt, it doesn't prolong it.

Bob, I'm going to disagree.

Sealing

1. Prevents water and ice from getting into the paving and causing it to crumble

2. Shields paving from the sun’s ultraviolet rays, which can deteriorate the binder and expose the aggregate

At least from what I've read and experienced. What makes you say it shortens the life of driveways?

Bob, I'm going to disagree.

Sealing

1. Prevents water and ice from getting into the paving and causing it to crumble

2. Shields paving from the sun’s ultraviolet rays, which can deteriorate the binder and expose the aggregate

At least from what I've read and experienced. What makes you say it shortens the life of driveways?

i'm gonna have to agree with this one...
i've seen non sealed as well as sealed driveways
it might be great if you have am above excellent base and your asphalt will never crack... but as soon as you get that first hairline you better think about putting some sealer on or you're fucked when winter rolls around...

and don't use salt either...
if you get ice use sand instead...

Quoted post[/post]]
at ALL!

I used to work for a construction company and paving was one of the things we did - sealing only takes away the life of the asphalt, it doesn't prolong it.

Maybe the company didnt want people to seal the driveways so they could have more work later on down the road when someone calls to have their driveways repaved.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
at ALL!

Maybe the company didnt want people to seal the driveways so they could have more work later on down the road when someone calls to have their driveways repaved.

Uh, no. The company was more commercial than it was residential, we constructed and reconstructed roads, parking lots, excavated for house and building foundations and stuff like that. In the time that I worked there the company only did one residential driveway, and that was for the owners new house. :)

When I mean sealing, I'm talking about the entire surface, of course you are supposed to seal cracks, but putting a hefty layer of sealant on the asphalt does not allow it to expand and contract like it is supposed to, hence why you are required to seal your driveway every year or other year once you put the sealant on.

Nice google lookup: Sealing shields paving from the sun’s ultraviolet rays, which can deteriorate the binder and expose the aggregate http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infdriv...ewaysealer.shtm

And there wouldn't be a need to seal a driveway unless the job that was done wasn't done correctly, like I said before, a quality job will last 15-20 years with no need for sealant. The base material helps in this as it should allow for proper drainage of water/snow/ice when it melts.

At my parents first house (built in 1984) the original driveway is still in place and looks great. Why? Because the time was spent on the base material to ensure proper drainage...

lets see if this work...but the base pic...sorry for the size..but it shows some detail...

DSC00300.JPG

and ohh well...if the base is not perfect or the aspalt won't lat 20 years...it's still a driveway, and for $1.18 a square foot...it's afordable. Besides...I'll prolly sell the house way before the driveway starts to look like crap. :laugh:

Well, the driveway was used heavily for prolly over 50 years, and when I had that 20 yard dumpster that prolly weighed 5 tons on 2 tiny roller...it didn't even scar the driveway like I thought it would. The prior owners had two SUVs that they would park in the garage, so the weight bearing 4 tire stips to the garage were pretty packed, and the driveway never had any ruts...

I'm very happy with the final product...and what I got prolly would have costed more than what I paid, and if I did do the full job with a full base and full ashalt thickness mentioned...I prolly would have to shell out more. I'm parking hondas and a Z on it...not semi-trucks.... :laugh:

I saw the driveway yesterday, and it looks good. It's not thin, it's not shitty.

Oh, and I dumped my honda in your yard Clayton, sorry about that :)

Keys are on the counter.

yup...I'm going to take that civic...and finish blowing it up in the back yard....I'm going to rev the shit out of it, and try to see how many nails are back there. I might even see if it can till a plot of land or break up the topsoil so I can find the bigger rocks....This will be fun....

And a few beers in me now, only 4 hours of sleep in over two days.....I can drive drunk....if it's my land.....here I go..... :)

nah...I'm to tired to have any fun.... :cry:

anyways...the gallery is back up...so now all the pics work...

Before....

DSC00281.JPG

And after...

DSC00321.JPG

And the link to the gallery...it's back up.

Back