Start-up issue with Hondata

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AzDyl05

Hello,

My appolgies for asking what is probably a very simple question. Even though I recently acquired my second Prelude, I have zero experience with tuning. I also appologize if you feel this is better suited for a different forum.

I just picked up a '97 prelude with Hondata, P&P heads, Skunk2 Valve train / stage2 cams, AEM cam sprockets and underdrive pulleys, AEM intake, DC headers and exhaust. I've only had the car a week, and while I'm not certain, I believe the injectors and remaining fuel management equipment to be stock.

Anyways, to cut to the chase, the car runs beautifully once started, but it rarely starts on the first crank. If the car has been sitting for more than 8 hours or so, I usually have to crank it, turn the key to the off position, and then try again at which point it starts. The seller says it's tuned this way on purpose, but this doesn't make sense in my mind. He says it's tuned in a manner that it runs extra rich right after start up. This can be confirmed via the air fuel ratio gauge, but is there any technical reason or benefit in having it set up this way? I find it annoying to have to crank the car more than once to get it started. Ultimately, I'm wondering if I should have it retuned and alter the map so it starts quicker or do you think that this is the result of something completely unrelated to the tune?

Thanks for your time!

the car was probably turbod and then when sold he kept the turbo and didnt correct the tune...
you should never run a car that rich..as it will wash the oil off the cylinder walls and ruin everything...and ive never heard of "tuning a car soo it doesnt start on the first crank" its straight up..you turn the ket it starts..there is a problem somewhere..

Back