starter and flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Z6T

Well me and my freind just finished completely rebuilding his d16a1 DOHC for his 88 integra. Well we get the motor dropped back in and everything bolted up and plugged back in. Everything ready for it to start up. Well we go to start it up and the starter just whines. So we thought the starter might have been bad. So we switch it out with another one that we had. Did the same thing. So we tested the other one while it was out and it was doing everything that it was supposed to. Spinning and popping out. So we then thought that it might be a wiring problem. No luck there either. Everything seemed to check out. So we get my dad to come and look at it because he is a mechanic. He said that it seemed to be that the starter was not reaching the flywheel, therefore not engaging with it and turning the motor over. So is there anyway way that we could have left some shims or something out when we reinstalled the flywheel? Is there anything that goes in between the block and the flywheel to make it stick out a little more? Sorry for the long post. But we are ready to get his car finished. :D

Thanks for all your help.

-Keylan-

I'm no expert, and I don't know if this will help, but since no one else is chiming in, here's my $.02.

Recently I had a similar problem with my Porsche. (I know these cars have next to nothing in common but your symptoms are identical) When I turned the key, I could hear a high-pitched whine, but the starter would not engage and didnt crank the engine over. I even replaced the starter which did not fix the problem.

Long story short...it turned about to be the tranny ground strap. There must be some path to ground for the starter. Take a look at that, give it a good cleaning and try again.

Good luck

ok ill have to look at it tomm. ill keep you posted since your the only one to give any imput on it but i really apreciate it

could be wiring if you ddont have the solinoid and the moter coectly wired it will only spin and not pop out

it does pop out just not far enough i took the starter out and i can see shiny marks where its touching the flywheel just not enogh to engage it i dont understand worked fine before disassemble , reassembled exactly same, now dosent work

i have tried other ones that i know for a fact work

Did you check the entire ground path? Make sure there are no frayed wires, that ALL the contacts are clean (both ends), and nothing is extremely corroded. Then check the wiring path on the positive side.

These "shiny marks" that you found, do they go along the entire length of the starter gear or just a part of it?

I've never had to replace one on my Honda. Is it possible you got it upside down, wired it up backwards, or just need to adjust its position a little bit?

yeah all the wires are clean an not corroded and its only shiny in one spot on the flywheel becasue it dosent engage enough to turn it only rub up against it its not like it culd be installed wrong theres only two bolts i dont think theres anyway to adjust it. i got a hold of another engine and rebuilt that block but everything form the flywheel back is what cam with the car .. is there anyway they could be a little off when they were made? do you tink if i put the orginal transmission ,starter and so on from the block we rebuilt?

Sorry, Z6T. When I had this problem with my Porsche, the ground strap was it.

I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but did you check the complete ground path, i.e. battery to chassis. The starter pulls more amps by far than any other circuit in the car, so if you have bad grounds it'll show up there first.

Wish I could offer you another angle, but thats all I've got.

Back