Starter not hiting flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yspeed

I have a 89 hatch with a 87 Dohc zc grey top, I'm running the Si tranny. But when I went to start it up. The starter just makes a wining noise. I know the gear is just spining the starter was working before we did the swap. Is there anythign I could do?. Thanx for the help

It's not the starter, I have had three starters in there since the problem. I don't think the clutch is engaged. Is there any way to tighten the clutch cable more then just adjusting the nut?

What does the starter have to do with the clutch, unless you have a switch that makes you push the clutch when you start it they are not related. On a car that does not have this the car will start without even having to push the clutch in, if you leave it in gear the car will leap forward.
Sounds to me like a starter problem too. Take the starter out and test it by hooking it up to your battery to see if the solenoid and starter works.

Please bench fire the starter to make sure it is operating ok.
Make sure you have your grounds.
Make sure your constant 12vts is ok.
What flywheel are you using?

This is not brain science.

I have a similar problem with my engine.

I had problems starting my car, sometimes it starts sometimes it takes patients.

I changed my starter and i still have the problem. and all connections are good, battery is fine, clutch switch is ok, etc.

What i do is turn the key on the start possion and then slam my foot on the clutch, for some reason it starts. not a fix but it works for now.

1 check your grounds as stated...

but i;m gonna bet money that you have a mismatch combination in there somehow... as in wrong flywheel, or wrong tranny, or wrong starter...

sounds like its not lined up properly and cannot make correct contact with the flywheel...

look in the starter hole and see if you can see the flywheel teeth where they are suspossed to be, and make sure you have the right starter for your setup...

Back