1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter Trouble

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by 93Fury, Oct 21, 2003.

1. 93Fury

93Fury Member

Hey guys, im having troubles starting the car, but I dont think its the starter. I have a 93 coupe, 1.6 SOHC. Starter the car up, and it did fine to work. Went to leave, and it wouldnt crank at all. Not even a click. I figured it was the starter, so I got a new one. That sure as hell didnt work! Ive taken it apart and metered the starter wire (Black/white) past the switch, and it shows 12V when cranking. From what I see, that wire runs direct to a plug, then to through the firewall to the engine harness. The weird part, when I meter the wire at the plug (driver side plug to engine harness) with the same color wire, I get a VERY low current ground when cranking. I go further and check the wire at the starter (little male connector), and again, low current ground. I dont understand! Does anyone know if this runs through a relay after is leaves the switch but before it plugs into the engine harness? If not, what could it be? Im about out of options, but I need it fixed. If anyone has a test light and can test the little black plug on the starter (not the 12V) and tell me if its a high current ground a 12V or Reverse Polarity, I would GREATLY appreicate it. Thanks ALOT!!!

2. AllMotorMonster

AllMotorMonster Senior Member

Reverse polarity? Low current ground? High current ground? WHAT????

If you have a DMM, then what's the problem?

The starter wire from the key runs down the column, into the fusebox, into a relay, out to the engine bay, and through the engine harness.

Got an alarm? Betcha you have a bad connection.

If not, then check the wire at the switch connector first. THEN trace your way back to the engine bay.

The output is +12V when activated. No ground, no reverse nothing. The "GROUND" you're thinking exists is a backfeed through other components.

3. 93Fury

93Fury Member

Im a technal advisor for car alarms, so I already checked my connections on that. That what I thought to begin, so I removed the starter kill relay, but no luck. Thanks alot, im going to check the relay. I just couldnt find it for some reason....go figure. :unsure:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted