Starter Trouble

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93Fury

Hey guys, im having troubles starting the car, but I dont think its the starter. I have a 93 coupe, 1.6 SOHC. Starter the car up, and it did fine to work. Went to leave, and it wouldnt crank at all. Not even a click. I figured it was the starter, so I got a new one. That sure as hell didnt work! Ive taken it apart and metered the starter wire (Black/white) past the switch, and it shows 12V when cranking. From what I see, that wire runs direct to a plug, then to through the firewall to the engine harness. The weird part, when I meter the wire at the plug (driver side plug to engine harness) with the same color wire, I get a VERY low current ground when cranking. I go further and check the wire at the starter (little male connector), and again, low current ground. I dont understand! Does anyone know if this runs through a relay after is leaves the switch but before it plugs into the engine harness? If not, what could it be? Im about out of options, but I need it fixed. If anyone has a test light and can test the little black plug on the starter (not the 12V) and tell me if its a high current ground a 12V or Reverse Polarity, I would GREATLY appreicate it. Thanks ALOT!!!

Reverse polarity? Low current ground? High current ground? WHAT????

If you have a DMM, then what's the problem?

The starter wire from the key runs down the column, into the fusebox, into a relay, out to the engine bay, and through the engine harness.

Got an alarm? Betcha you have a bad connection.

If not, then check the wire at the switch connector first. THEN trace your way back to the engine bay.

The output is +12V when activated. No ground, no reverse nothing. The "GROUND" you're thinking exists is a backfeed through other components.

Im a technal advisor for car alarms, so I already checked my connections on that. That what I thought to begin, so I removed the starter kill relay, but no luck. Thanks alot, im going to check the relay. I just couldnt find it for some reason....go figure. :unsure:

Back