Steering Wheels and Air Bag SRS Light

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HONDAPITSTOP

Has anyone on this list changed out their stock Honda Steering wheel that had an airbag in it for an aftermarket performance steering wheel?

If so what did you do about the SRS light coming on?

I ask as I'll be restoring DOHCVTEC_ACCORD's 95 Accord where both the airbags have gone off and I plan to replace the steering wheel and not replace either of the airbags. (Yes I know it's illegal in some states if not all states to not replace the airbags.)

I've heard of defeat switches that plug into the SRS system but can't seem to find any info on that. I've heard of dealers doing this for people who were so short that they sit so close to the wheel that if the airbag went off it would do more harm to them than good. (no I'm not short) ;)

Anyway, the advice I've received so far is:
1. Remove the SRS bulb
This will work for my eyes but not for saftey inspection as the inspectors (if they know their crap) will be looking for the SRS light to come on momentarily at start up, key on, etc.

2. Wire the SRS Bulb to a different light such as the check engine light.
Has anyone done this? I think this might be my easiest option and will make the SRS light come on momentarily and then go off just like the normal SRS light would.

3. Install resistors inline in the SRS system to mimic the airbags resistors fooling the SRS light into thinking that everything is working properly.
This is a cool way of doing it but without a guide a lot of guess work to find the right resistors, etc.

Serious advice appreciated :)
Bruce

If I were you, I'd go with option 2. Just a litle wire splicing and you're done. But....if the guy is going to be savvy enough to be looking for an SRS light, don't you think he's going to notice an aftermarket steering wheel that obviously doesn't have an airbag?

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Sep 19 2003, 06:25 PM
If I were you, I'd go with option 2. Just a litle wire splicing and you're done. But....if the guy is going to be savvy enough to be looking for an SRS light, don't you think he's going to notice an aftermarket steering wheel that obviously doesn't have an airbag?

:D I may have to try to rig the stock wheel up for the inspection every 2 years. If I lived 5 miles south of where I lived there'd be no inspection and no smog checks ever. Just register the car and go for it. Oh well at least I don't live CA where the SS Gastaopo inspectors tell you things like; "that ECU is from a different year CRX and your car requires the exact same year ECU. That's what they told one of my friend's with a CRX. I forget all the details but he's gone through smogging madness even though all his emissions are lower than max they still won't pass him because of some mods he's made! Wackiness!!!

Just following up to this thread.
I removed the SRS light, installed a Sparco Steering wheel with a center horn button and a momo hub. The whole process was no cake walk. It took me about 5 hours or more I'd say by the time I made everything work right. Then again I'm slow and have to snap all these digital pics during the install.
Thanks for all the advice everyone :D It passed OR inspection just fine. Maybe I got lucky ;)
Click here to see the pics and procedure

Its illegal.

If you don't care, install the aftermarket wheel and pull the gauge cluster.. pull the bulb out of the SRS warning light, replace the plug into the cluster with no bulb in it. problem solved.

Back