stock cams for turbo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16ahatch

Hey well im soon to be turbod and the shop im at is telling me that i should just run my stock b16 cams because it really dosent make a difference. For some reason i find that hard to belive. Lemme know what you guys think

If you plan to change anything, an exhaust cam would be it.... The stock cams are fine. If you go with a higher cam profile, it will cause more overlap of your intake and exhaust valves...(Meaning they will be open together for a longer duration of time)... When you do this, the turbo basically forces the exhaust gas in and back out of the cylinder....... stock cam profiles work great.... You may want to change the exhaust cam tho, the stock intake cam will allow plenty of air in do to the charge caused by the turbo. Changing the exhaust cam would actually allow more exhaust gasses out and let the turbo react a little quicker during spool-up......

unless you are making 450+ whp, there is no need to change them. there are cheaper, more efficient wasy to make power.

a set of cams and springs/retainers to hold them will run 1500+
thats a sleeved bottom end 100% built

I have seen nealry 600 wheel horse power off stock gsr cams. b16 cams aren't much smaller.

Back