Street Legal?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Circuit

I was wondering if anyone in Mass knew the law restrictions to car modding... like how far off the ground you need to be, if you can have a blowoff valve, how loud your exhaust can be, etc... and if not, where I could get such information... thx :wacko:

Its illegal anywhere to have most aftermarket mufflers. Anything that produces noise in sufficient amouts is illegal. Im in New York, its illegal, and after 3 Tickets for amplified muffler, im still going strong with my Apex N1. Haha B)

MA State laws required of all Street legal Vehicles:

Front plate is required, with a cover that can still leave the plate legible.

Windshield Visibility: A banner can only come down 6" from the top.

Front and rear side windows are allowed 35% tint maximum.

Ride height: Max alteration of 2" either way from factory vehicle height.

Aux. Lighting: 22" to 54" height.

URL: www.state.ma.us/rmv/ or call (617) 351-2700 for more information like how loud an exhaust can be, etc.

ive never gotten pulled over for the shit ive done to my car... that includes on the auto crx i owned for 3 weeks and drove 1 1/2 hours of highway -

quoting airjockie:

Airj0ckey: and you are very lucky you made it down here in that car
iRomeo256: really?
Airj0ckey: sway bar bolt's broken, no break's, miss matched or missing lug nut's
Airj0ckey: bare wire's between the leg's
iRomeo256: that one is my favorite

it was great!! :lol: the header panel even blew off halfway down.

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Oct 15 2003, 10:09 PM

URL: www.state.ma.us/rmv/ or call (617) 351-2700 for more information like how loud an exhaust can be, etc.

That front plate law also applies to out of state vehicles. FUCK MA State troopers. There was one fuck pulling me and other people over with no front plates even though our cars were registered in other states.

Originally posted by Jeef@Oct 15 2003, 10:09 PM
That front plate law also applies to out of state vehicles.

Really?

I think CT is now requiring a front plate after many years of not. I'm leaving it off until I find out what it costs.

I just got a warning and a lecture. The cop was also harassing me about about my perscription that I had from when I hurt my back. It was a waste of 20 minutes on my already hour and twenty minutes drive home (glad I don't do that anymore).

Originally posted by Jeef+Oct 16 2003, 03:09 AM-->
sleepergtx
@Oct 15 2003, 10:09 PM

That front plate law also applies to out of state vehicles. FUCK MA State troopers. There was one fuck pulling me and other people over with no front plates even though our cars were registered in other states.

Really?? cause Indiana doesn't require a front plate, but Ohio does. Ohio state troopers could care less about it.

The only reason it's required is Cops have an easier time clocking people with front plates. :angry:

Originally posted by number9+Oct 15 2003, 10:18 PM-->
@Oct 15 2003, 10:09 PM
That front plate law also applies to out of state vehicles. 

Really?

I think CT is now requiring a front plate after many years of not. I'm leaving it off until I find out what it costs.

$60.....after I seen a freind get a ticket...I mounted mine on the CRX, and the Jeep.....

But the Z, and the AE86 don't have front mounts....plus I don't drive them that much to be visable.....

Originally posted by Green92HatchDX@Oct 16 2003, 03:26 AM
how is that?

Radar reflects off the reflective material the plates are painted/made with easier than they do paint. That's also why if you see a picture with a bright flash the plates turn out to be bright white.

Originally posted by sleepergtx+Oct 15 2003, 10:55 PM-->
Green92HatchDX
@Oct 16 2003, 03:26 AM
how is that?

Radar reflects off the reflective material the plates are painted/made with easier than they do paint. That's also why if you see a picture with a bright flash the plates turn out to be bright white.

actually, radar guns view a light source (headlight, foglights etc) before bouncing off every other thing. Thats why you see a lot of cops doing radar traps at night.

Originally posted by sisteve@Oct 16 2003, 11:30 AM
actually, radar guns view a light source (headlight, foglights etc) before bouncing off every other thing. Thats why you see a lot of cops doing radar traps at night.

huh?

Wasn't there a tuner mag like HCI, Sport Compact car, Super street, that put out what legal/illegal for each state. I can't remember which one had that article.

Originally posted by Circuit@Oct 15 2003, 07:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone in Mass knew the law restrictions to car modding... like how far off the ground you need to be, if you can have a blowoff valve, how loud your exhaust can be, etc... and if not, where I could get such information... thx :wacko:

Let me just say this - im screwed unless my friend can pass me on emmisions (visual and smog).

The reason they are making exhausts illegal is because they wanna cut down on all the racing going on in areas like Springfield. If you have any questions on this topic - feel free to pm me

yeah mass suxs :( but more for the frost heaves, pot holes and constant road work. i've never had trouble w/ not running 2 plates (well of course unless youre getting a sticker) i think its just up to the cops discretion to actually enforce it...damn i wish i still had my green plate...but if you're gonna lower your car just make sure you don't go past a 2 inch drop or else you'll probably have trouble getting on a dyno for your sticker i've had a few friends get rejected for that since they started the new emissions laws.

Originally posted by starboy869@Oct 16 2003, 09:05 PM
Wasn't there a tuner mag like HCI, Sport Compact car, Super street, that put out what legal/illegal for each state. I can't remember which one had that article.

Sport Compact car, where do you think I copied all of what I said from? :D

It's in the October 2003 Issue...starts on page 66. ;)

Back