Stroker kit or overboring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

twotwo

Hello guys im in the process of rebuilding my motor and have a few questions.....first of all i have a B18c motor in a EK hatch....my goal is an all motor monster streetable of course....so i was wondering which will yeild me more power of the two??.....at first i was going to overbore my motor to around 85mm but am not sure now what i would like to do.....also could you use a stroker kit and overbore??....i was looking at something around 13:1 or lower compression....thank you and have a nice day!!!

Don't bother with teh stroker kit. What i would do in your position is get the block sleeved and bored out to 85mm and use an LS crank. That'll bring you to just above two liters of displacment. Get some aftermarket rods meant for the LS crank and some 12:1 Wiseco slugs. With some nice cams like Toda B's or Jun 3's, Hondata, and a Skunk2 intake manny you should be putting down some nice numbers to the wheels.

But why not the stroker kit??....is there something wrong with them as in why poeple don't use them???....i know there kindy pricey but is that all??....

Dude, they are overpriced and you can gain some stroke by just getting an LS crank and rods. It'll be cheaper, easier, and with an 85mm bore, you'll have a grin from ear to ear with all the torque you have.

alright i gotcha.....but what if you stroke your motor and bore will that equal to more power???...or you can only do one thing??....thanks for the info....

You can do both, definitely. You can bore out as much as the sleeves will allow. You can stroke it, but I still wouldn't suggest a kit, just use the LS crank and rods. With the new crank and 85mm bore, you'll have more than two liters of badass displacement.

I think what H22 is think is along the budget sense. If you are truly going for the all motor monster, and have the 2 grand it's going to cost for the stroker kit, then by all means go for it! The good think about the stroker kit is that you get all new rods and pistons, and through toda, you can get new pistons in an 85mm bore. That way, you'd pay about 2700 with the sleeves or so, plus a little labor for the boring, and you'd have either 2.1 or 2.2 liter dispalcement... Talk about badass.

On the other hand, if you were looking for a budget setup, the ls crank, and H22's setup would be perfect. just look at how much money you want to spend, however if you go the used ls stuff route, I'd recamend getting the rods, crank, and pistons balanced, and the rods and crank beed blasted for safety. Nothing beets safety when you aren't working with completly forged internals.

Ian

would you know how much displacement i would get if i were to get a stroker kit and bore it out to 85mm or 86mm???....thank you and have a nice day!!!

c-speedracing.com has a calculator for just those questions in the how-to section.

if your serious about stroking it, why not deck-plate it? it will cost the same, and you will gain a lot more stroke. you might need a new hood though =)

Back