Stupid Noob Question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'll start off by introducing myself. I'm Dan and I drive a '95 Prelude SI with a decent amount of overall performance mods.

I've been looking into different project cars lately and have been considering an hf hybrid engine for a car not yet determined. I read that hf monster article and had a couple of questions about it. I did a search but didn't come up with anything. Since the Civic DX also has a d series engine would the vtec head bolt on the the hf's? I crossreferenced the block part numbers but they were different. I assume that since the DX is vtec that the diff in part numbers is due to the oil squirters. Is this correct? Since they are both d series they'll swap, right? If so, does anyone have dyno plots of this hybrid?

Thanks

well, the HF monster isnt a Vtec, also the DX engine isnt Vtec, the d16z6 ( Si engine ) is vtec, you could do DPI-MPFi change over then put the Vtec head on the DX, ( in theory it works correct me if im wrong people), but y not just spend the 300 bucks and buy the d16z6 for that. The reason the HF monster is so good, is b/c its mpfi already, and ur putting alot higher compression on the engine. The figures arent to realisitic on the HF monster. you probably wont hit 14's but mid 15's is reasonable. also, with the higher compression on an engine not made for it, you will probably blow the engine up sooner, but then u can do a real swap.i guess if ur all for the HF monster idea, u could build it up and make it reasonably fast, but it will never put out the same torque #'s as a b16 or b18, and is pretty much a waist to put money into. its just for a cheap swap for people until they can save up enough $$ to buy a real swap.

PS. reading ur article again. u sound like u think the HF motor and the DX motor are the same. They arent, both are D blocks but the HF is MPFI, and the DX is DPFI.

I see your point. Problem is, I have to use a d series for the one of the project ideas I have. Are the d series the same as the b and h in that all d series parts are swapable? Is it also true that some of the b series parts can be used on a d engine?

certain parts are swappable, but for the most part, D != B. Use B series parts on B , D series on D.

Back