Sub and amps

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vietec

Hey guys..... I hope u guys can help me with my set up for sound system. I am plannign to use 1 jl audio 12w3v2. I wanna know what amp is good to go with it? how many watt? i heard rockford fosgate would be good. does anybody using 1 12w3v2? i wanna know if it kicks hard? i dont want anything tooooo crazy but i want strong and CLEAN bass. please help!!!!!

Originally posted by vietec@Jul 9 2003, 04:02 PM
Hey guys..... I hope u guys can help me with my set up for sound system. I am plannign to use 1 jl audio 12w3v2. I wanna know what amp is good to go with it? how many watt? i heard rockford fosgate would be good. does anybody using 1 12w3v2? i wanna know if it kicks hard? i dont want anything tooooo crazy but i want strong and CLEAN bass. please help!!!!!

Fosgate isn't exactly the cleanest sound out there. They are good for the money no doubt, but they do distort when pushed to their limits.

I'd say, for nice clean bass, you need a JL 500.1 amp. Clean power all the way through the gain, even when pushed to the max. I think they go for around 500 bucks.

I have 2 12" jl w3's and an Xtant x1001 mono amp, but it also cost a grand. 500 watts @ 4 ohms, 1000 watts at 2 ohms

yea, it will kick hard.. and sound really good. I wouldnt run all 500 watts on it.. turn the gain about 3/4 way and tune it via the EQ. If you need more, then turn the gain up. It will be able to take all 500 watts of it, but only if you're running a VERY nice and clear wiring setup. (good 4 gauge, sufficent grounding, good RCA's and good speaker wire.. dont hack up your lines to make it from point a to b, try and use as short as possible wiring and dont splice it together.. like your power wire leaves the battery like this

------ ( ) ------- ( ) ---- The ( ) indicate where you spliced it up to make the length work. Dont do that on ANY of the wiring.

I'm sure you knew that already, but you never know!

Zapco makes some of the cleanest sounding amps ive heard .... they cost a fuck load though :(

yea, they are.. for a zapco 600 (not sure the model number) is almost a grand here. Very nice amps tho..

btw, thanks for a non-flaming post in here :p

i dunno if your joking or not... but i have not been impressed with a single thing audiobahn has put out

they seem to be the ractive/APC/tenzo R of the audio world... ie: make it look really flashy and fuck the quality

well.. not completely.. i heard them for the first time at the ford event, whoever did the custom install, really tuned it well, VERY nice bass, but is it worth a 60lbs "flame" series sub? no. i can get a deeper sound/better sound with a different sub.

Their amps are just crappy, imo. They run too hot, yes, the heat sink is doing the job, but the heat should leave the vents, not make the amp run hot.. hot amp = not effecient... Plus they like to distort when pushing them hard.

Kicker SoloX in a 8 cubic foot box owns j00, for SPL (110 lbs 18" solo baric sub, handles 5000 RMS and 10000 PEAK).. heard one in Tulsa... i am the person you see that stands next to the loudest of the loudest and not plug my ears.. and this shit, made my chest hurt and ears ring

:werd:
im pretty much that same guy... was all into the sound competition thing a few years ago

not really too into the huge systems any more
still like the idea of a nice hard hitting clean sounding system
im just not putting one in the car that im trying to race with :)

hot damn, we actually have something in common... someone mark this day in history... jk man.

Hard hitting systems is what i go by. If the stereo weighs 100 lbs, make the car that much faster.

anybody with a hatchback have subs in here? i wanna know if 2 front speaker wit subs in the back will sound right? is it necessary to put another pair of speaker in the back side panel

from my experience it sounds far better with the highs only being in the front (the imaging is MUCH better) if you do anything with the rear speakers upgrade them to a plain woofer with no tweeter for rear fill

i would suggest that... if you dont like it you can always add a tweeter later

so... e_solsi... do you thinki should just run 2 front speakers only since you say its better to save money. I am on a tight budget.

yes, run the front stage only, the rear stage screws the imaging up. Get a nice component set for the front.

Some nice ones are the Polk EX3, Crutchfield has the 5.25 and 6.50 components setups on sale for 150.

What kind of budget are you on?

:withstupid:
exactly.... get a good component set up front (seperate woofer and tweeter)
and get a good amp to run them off (distortion is very noticeable on highs)

the Kicker x25i impulse amp is very nice, and only like 70 bucks if you can still find em (they were 2 or so yrs ago models). Pushes the fronts nicely and very clear.

Ok thanks, i have one last question for people familiar with 92-95 hbs. I wanna know the size of the speaker for front? from what i see, it look smaller than 6 1/2. So i am guessing the ones i have rite now is 5 1/4. but 5 1/4 is so small! I want to put 6.5 in front!! is this possible?!?!

Back