1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supercharging an EF?

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by Fernpatch, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Fernpatch

Fernpatch Member

Hello all, I have a 90 crx with a dohc zc engine. I also just came across a IHI screw type supercharger off of a mazda millenia s. I have not been able to find much information about the air flow capabilities of this unit but I am thinking that it could be a decent upgrade for my current engine. Has anyone here ever supercharged a d series engine? I know the popular trend is to turbo a engine not to supercharge but I have the charger already (it was free, just had to pull it) and was wondering if it would even be worth the trouble. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

2. Z6CRX

Z6CRX übber ɐɾuıu etarip

I believe the mazda engine rotates in the opposite direction compared to the honda engines. So it will take some fabrication and will either require a rebuild to spin the opposite direction (the supercharger) or some crazy mounting setup.

that too you have to pickup a manifold. Checkout Jackson Racing superchargers for D series engines. It's a lot easier and usually cheaper to go turbo though.

3. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

No reason why you cant supercharge a D-Series engine. I say go for it because it will be different. My next build will be a D-Series.

4. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

it definitely could work... but the hard part will be figuring how to mount it. it would require a lot of fabrication.

5. Fernpatch

Fernpatch Member

So after pondering the engine bay for a while I have decided that I am not going to be able to fit the charger on the car without carving up the hood. Oh well, its a cheap composite peice anyway.

Thanks you Z6, I forgot about to think about the motors rotating in opposite directions. I have decided that I will have to run a prop shaft from the front of the motor over to the back and mount the charger with the pulley facing the passenger side. I hope to have time this weekend to start taking some measurments to see how I can fit the whole mess together. I am planning on running my stock manifold and running a charge pipe from the supercharger down to an intercooler in the bumper area and than back up to the stock tb.

Does anyone know of a crank pulley that would provide a decent sized belt groove to run a new belt for the prop shaft? I see that jackson racing uses the alternator belt for there kit but that will not work with the way I am thinking about mounting this set up.

Thanks for the input. I will keep posting as this project goes along.

6. klyph

klyph Dismember VIP

Are you planning on running A/C? Power Steering? Also get in contact with unorthodox Racing, I'm sure they can find a pulley that will work or make one for you.

7. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

jackson racing makes a zc supercharger for the cr-x. look into their product.

8. Z6CRX

Z6CRX übber ɐɾuıu etarip

I am definitely looking forward to seeing this setup. :thumbsup:

People with honda's have it hard to add a supercharger due to the opposite rotation and very little room to flip it over.

9. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

That would be cool to run the millenia blower. They are a lysholm compressor type, which makes it very efficient even at high pressure. Basically you would get the benefits of a supercharger (low end instant power), and avoid their pitfalls, which are high intake temps at high boost (common on roots type (eaton, jrsc)).

They are better than a turbo in many aspects. The reason they arn't common is because it is extremely difficult, i.e. expensive to manufacture them.

It would be really cool to see this applied on a honda.

10. Ethan

Ethan Well-Known Member

Nah you can just turn your starter around so you engine starts and runs backwards.... :D

But yea that would be awesome. Go for it if you got the money.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted