Suspension for 91 HB

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

evans

91 Civic Project
hey guys, got a good question for all the Honda guys out there.
Coilovers or lowering springs?

Here is my situation, I am putting a H23A prelude engine into my 91 Civic HB. This means I need something a little heavier to support such an engine. Most of my driving will be street and highway, maybe the once or twice drag strip. I can not lower to much for the clearance wont be to great, no more than 2" for sure, or even 1.5". I was thinking Skunk2 coilovers? But hit me up with some opinions, and no i dont want to be told to search, I am already doing that. Thanks guys

Progress actually makes a set of springs that are specifically designed for this situation (H swap into a Civic). I believe they lower 1.5 or 2 inches, and they're made to handle the extra weight of the motor.

Pair those with some adjustable shocks like the KYB AGXs and you'd have a decent setup that you tune for street or the drag strip.

bump.. My ride is already so rough, from the kid who put on lowering springs and lowered them to the bottom. I feel every! bump, but the handling is unbeleivable.

yea as long as you get good struts you will be fine...ebay has a good kit for like $600 springs and struts

what would you say, for everyday use, coilover or springs

The ride isn't determined by if you have lowering springs or coilovers, its the way the springs and the dampers interact with the car. Stiff springs require more stiffly valved dampers and when set up should not be bouncy, but they will be a bit harsh. If you want something comfortable, go with springs that aren't as stiff. I like feeling every rock and bump on the road, so I run very stiff suspension on my car.

Tanabe has a decent set of springs....also....Tein
I found some for around 156.....tokico blues are also decent for street/ some track time.
But I personally love the ground control coilovers I don't know if they still make them but the springs are Eibach handles good and not to terribly stiff.

If you're going to spend about $1000 on a suspension, just go with PIC or Koni/GC setup.

Ground Control coilovers, H&R, Neuspeed, and Progress lowering springs are great. My cousin has had Skunk2's with stock shocks on his 92 CX for about 2 years now and the shocks are done.

Last edited:
Don't buy the lower end Tein stuff, from all accounts I've heard, they suck. That combined with the fact that I've never heard of a competitive racer using Tein makes me think there are much better solutions out there unless you're planning on spending $2000+ on coilovers. For $1000, the Koni/Ground Control combo is going to handle the best.

Back