swap done no ECU

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I just completed my swap, prelude h23 - h22. now just have a few questions. 1. untill you wire up v-tec is it supposed to run like sh*&. 2. Is it safe to run it w/out v-tec for 2 weeks til i get my ECU? 3.ive heard the p-28 is the best Ecu to get ,is this true and where can i get one quick? 4. how happy has anyone whos done this swap been with the outcome. was is fast? I appreciate any insight you guys got.

hmmm

1) if you have a check engine light, which you prob do, then yea, it will run like shit...

2) it should be semi ok to run it without the right ecu, but i wouldn't push it hard, and avoid driving it if you can...

3)i would recommend the P13, which is the stock OBD1 H22 ecu...
a P28 will need to be chipped
expect to pay around 300 for a P13...

4) i've never done the swap in a prelude, but have done it in an accord... and yes, definately very happy with the swap, just think about it
you;re gaining 40 horses right off the bat...
i would advise you either get or have the H22 trans, the H23 trans will make you fall out of vtec when you shift...

please define running like shit, this may be more than just a wrong ecu problem...

I still havent hooked up the exhaust yet so its hard to tell if there are any knocks or misses but is stays running by itself. :shrug2: mainly it bogs down on exeleration and doesent want to rev up very fast . but that could be due to the o2 censor on the exhaust not mixing the right amount of fuel right???? i don know. do you know anywhere besides Ebay to get the p13? oh yea that check engine lights on like donkey kong. havent checked for codes yet.need that mufler on there. sucks about that tranny if i chipped a p-13 would it eliminate the the v-tec slip?

ok, check engine throws your car into limp home mode...
retards timing and dumps fuel... which = slow revs, runs like shit

o2 def has something to do with that

you can check any motor importer, i think hmotorsonline is the place that everyone on here swears by... not sure if they sell just ecu's but i would imagine they will... DO NOT GO THROUGH OSAKA

def get the computer from a reputable dealer cause its hard to get your money back from online transactions...

and regarding the chipping... don;t waste your time...
most "chips" are worhtless and hack jobs at best...
vtec is set by honda to get the most from your motor...
in order to not fall out of vtec you would have to set the vtec engagement lower than the stock engagement point...
so you would go into vtec too early for the motor which would lead to a dip in power, and i assume that dip would be worse than falling out of vtec between shifts...

its something to the effect of vtec engagement = 5500 round about, first winds till 7800, you hit second and drop to 4800 - 5100, then wait till 5500 again for vtec

numbers are only used to convey message, i don't know the exact rpm's off hand

when you get it all running right you might see that the H22 revs a bit slow, you can try adjusting the timing by turning the distributor, try advancing the timing and see if that helps it rev up to vtec a bit faster

Back