swap for 93 usdm VTEC prelude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

luder85

okay...i own a 93 VTEC prelude...it has almost 150k miles on it...please keep in mind that this will be my weekday daily driver and want it to last.

1. should i get a new motor or rebuild my usdm h22a...what do you think i should do?...if i do a rebuild what should i buy to make it like "new"?

2.if i buy a new motor should i just get the jdm h22 and do basic mods, or spend the money and get the h23 vtec or h22 type-s motor?

3.the h23 vtec and h22 type-s are ODB 2 and my car is ODB 1 right? does that mean i have to get the converter or it can be programmed via a chip for these engines?

4.with these 2 expensive motors and the transmission is better on these two motors, do i need to do a full swap or can i just swap the long block-a bare engine including the block, head, valves, crankshaft, camshaft, and pistons, but does not include the manifolds or any accessories like the alternator or power steering pump.

Thanks in advance for your advice

1. Rebuild what you have. It's silly to get basically the same engine and swap it in there. At a minimum, you should get new .025"-over OEM pistons, new piston rings, and hone the block. Bearings and seals are another great idea if you have the time, money and knowledge. New oil pump. Timing belt, water pump, etc while you're at it.

2. Don't buy a new one.

3. See above, and you're right, both of those are OBD2.

4. Most H22 parts, like the ones you mentioned, can be swapped among engines.

don't waste your money on the h23 vtec or the type s h22

type s has 20 extra horses from a mild p and p to the head and slightly higher compression and slightly more aggressive cams...

you can easily get your h22 to breath better and make over 220...

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Aug 19 2005, 07:52 AM
1. Rebuild what you have. It's silly to get basically the same engine and swap it in there. At a minimum, you should get new .025"-over OEM pistons, new piston rings, and hone the block. Bearings and seals are another great idea if you have the time, money and knowledge. New oil pump. Timing belt, water pump, etc while you're at it.

2. Don't buy a new one.

3. See above, and you're right, both of those are OBD2.

4. Most H22 parts, like the ones you mentioned, can be swapped among engines.
[post=542350]Quoted post[/post]​

5.if i do this will it be a reliable car? if i were to buy a new motor i would last at least 100k miles. if i change the items listed in the reply from dohcvtec_accord (#1) will the motor hold up for as long?

6.by the way what do you mean "hone the block"? anything done to the block would be very expensive, right?

7.what if i just bought the long block from the type-s motor will it be any easy swap? cuz you can get this for a couple grand...just need to rewire for the OBD2 and can use my existing motor mounts and tranny.(i would get both manifolds) would there be anything else-do i need the ecu?

OBD2->OBD1 is harder than you think it is. I would just suggest going with Type R pistons, new rods, you will probably want to change your valves and springs and check to see if there is any scoring on your cylinder walls. Head gasket change, timing belt change, and water pump would also be good if youre that far into it.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Aug 19 2005, 05:46 PM
OBD2->OBD1 is harder than you think it is.  I would just suggest going with Type R pistons, new rods, you will probably want to change your valves and springs and check to see if there is any scoring on your cylinder walls.  Head gasket change, timing belt change, and water pump would also be good if youre that far into it.
[post=542632]Quoted post[/post]​

obd2 to obd1 is not difficult the only difference as far as the engine sensors goes is thew knock sensor that you could just leave unpluged.
If you get it with a obd2 wiring harness there are conversion harnesses out there.
you could easily use your stock computer with some sort of A/F controller to make up for ther higher compression.

But dude. Warm over your block. new rings and bearings
Those type s motors are way pricy for an extra 20 hp plus if you just got the type s longblock you would be losing out on the ported intake that helps give it that 20 extrahp.
If you have that kind of money, re-ring and bearing the motor with some new rods and get the jrsc and put 6lbs. to the thing and I assure you you would be happy and with that mild boost I'm sure you culd get 50-75 k out of the thing,
depending on how you drive.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, you need to make the choice depending on what your goals are. If you want hella power, then go for it. I could go three ways here.

1. JDM, like you mentioned. About $1300, and it'll last a while. Be prepared to do the tranny also, since yours might not last to 300k. A clutch would be a must, no matter which option you chose.

2. Light rebuild. Hone(not bore) the block, add new bearings, oil pump, etc. This should give you a good 50k if done decently. It also depends on how you drive. This could range from 500-2k, which coincides with how much work is performed.

3. Good rebuild. Sleeve the block and/or bore it over, and get a great set of pistons. Check the crank for standard, and put in all new bearings, pumps, etc. You can get good power from your engine this way, but I'm betting you'd spend over 3k.

I'd buy the JDM engine myself. It's less work, less headaches, and you have a good chance of getting a limited warranty. With a tranny, and a timing belt change that motor will cost you <2k.

Back