Swap Into Eg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95VtecEX

I am looking for a good engine to swap into my car that I can boost. 95 Civic EX Coupe. I want to boost my stock engine, but its got over 100k miles so I would like to swap first. A friend of mine has a Teg LS with a turbo and I love it. I guess my question is what engine would be better to boost, the B16a2 or a B18b? Also where can I find a b18b, I cant seem to find one on the net. Theres a couple on ebay, but im really hesitant to get one from there. I only want to run between 6 and 8psi. Possibly more, but really need a reliable daily driver.

Also I have thought about getting the Greddy kit for my stock D16, but will that work on either engine that I get, so I can do the turbo first.

Thanks for your help

Since there is no b18a2 then the better choice would be the b18b1 :D .As for where to find them you can start in a junkyards looking for 94-95 tegs or you could search out a b18c1 from a GSR.There are numerous sites listed in this site,do a search and you will get a bunch.

Ya man, B18a2's dont exist in this world. only b18a's which are cable trans. U are looking for a b18b, with hydro trans.

Sorry guys, I meant b16a2, I cant believe that slipped me, sorry.

In that case still search out a b18c1.To keep everything easy try to find one out of a 94-95 they came in the 94+ GSR.If your serious about turbo then you can get a b18b1 out of a 94+ gs/ls/rs/se.If your not going to boost,I'd say stick with the c1 and bolt on till your hearts content.As for ebay my personal opinion is fuck that place,to many rip off artist trying to scam people.Many people have bought from there and will say it is alright but,it's bettter to get a motor from somewhere that sells them as they have the oppurtunity and desire (usaully) to fix any deficiencies.

no better place to score an ls swap from a junkyard, most of those places have a 90 day warranty and shit and i know i used to work at one and everymotor had full leakdown and comp tests and was checked over for broken sensors and replaced or discounted.

Thanks for the responses guys? B18B is the way I am going to go. How about a turbo though, do you think the greddy kit for my car would work with the LS motor? I guess I like the price of the greddy. Its something that I want to do all at once, turbo and swap. What do you recommned for a turbo kit for the LS? Thanks again.

Originally posted by 95VtecEX@Jan 12 2003, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the responses guys? B18B is the way I am going to go. How about a turbo though, do you think the greddy kit for my car would work with the LS motor? I guess I like the price of the greddy. Its something that I want to do all at once, turbo and swap. What do you recommned for a turbo kit for the LS? Thanks again.

Greddy kit was made for reliability and perfect fit and finish. Not power. The 18g that comes with it really isnt that bad- but you will have better luck with a better turbo. If you look around you can find all the parts of a turbo kit, just choose each part individually. Its usually cheaper than buying a bolt on kit.

EDIT- Youre talking about the ex greddy kit? That uses the shitcan td04 turbo, its really small for a b series. Besides, the manifold will NOT bolt on to b series heads. You have to redrill the holes and port it and its a big pain in the ass.

Originally posted by 95VtecEX@Jan 12 2003, 12:53 PM
do you think the greddy kit for my car would work with the LS motor?

nope, the manifold won't work, pretty important part.. i'd look into custom kits, i think they are the most appealing

custom kit site.

Thanks again, one more question, what tranny would be a good match to the B18B? Is there a better tranny than the LS one is comes with?

Originally posted by 95VtecEX@Jan 12 2003, 01:15 PM
Thanks again, one more question, what tranny would be a good match to the B18B? Is there a better tranny than the LS one is comes with?

Click the link in my sig- its a debate about vtec vs non vtec, gsr tranny vs ls tranny, etc...

yeah of course there's better trannys, like a itr 4.875 fd, LSD equipped trans, but then you blow alot of money, and it's gonna rev alot quicker, but alot higher when your just cruizing, i'd just use the LS

Back