Swap Issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StarBellieAngel

here's my boggle...

here i am ready to get a JDM B16 into my 90 integra. don't i have to report this to the DMV? i already have to smog it so i can register it... now i have to have the referee look at it?

can i do this LEGALLY? or do i have to cheat?

where do you live? in california i think its not legal to have a jdm engine.

i say smog your car now make sure it passes then put your engine in and keep it a secret. then in 2 years find someone who will ignore the b16 under you hood and just hook it up and try to make it pass.

i have no compression in one cylinder... and it smokes... i don't think it will pass the way it is... i suppose i'm basically screwed.

i just did a JDM H22A swap in my del sol right after i got it smogged witht he single cam. in about a year i will get the car registered out of state, like nevada where you dont need to smog. just tell them u live at your grandmas house in some state not requiring smog and they will give u plates from that state. so for me ill be rolling around with nevada plates.

after i do the swap can i just have it smogged? i was under the impression i had to report an engine change because of vin number... i have a buddy who can smog it for me. i just need to make sure i don't have to take it to the ref here in CA

i suppose i'll just be bold and ask the DMV myself... either that or i'll start on an LS/VTEC setup since the stamp on the block will work... lol

i hate california laws.... :angry:

fucking disinformation spewed forth by the internet..

in california is IS legal to have a jdm engine. PROVIDED THAT
the motor is same year or newer, AND you have ALL smog equipment on the car in perfect running condition.

ok... so how do i prove it's the same year?? the SiR engine i have is a 1st gen so it could be 88 or could be 91....

and do i have to have someone check it out??

i appreciate your news.... really a relief

im sure they could run the vin number....be it carfax or wherever. if you are that concerned about making ur shit legal, make sure u run the vin number and print it out.

and of course, obd1 and obd2 motors are a dead giveaway to any smog inspector.

and yes, once ur engine is installed you must (you dont HAVE to do anything....this is just in case you want to "legalize" your new motor in your car) take it to the smog ref (look online for the nearest ca smog ref) pay whatever fees are necessary and thats that.

i would advise you to avoid any potential complications to make sure that your cat is working, along with any smog devices and o2 sensors....put the stock air box back on and throw in a bottle of that "smog pass" shit from pep boys if you are that concerned it wont pass.

or do what im plannin on doing when i get my jdm gsr swap done. run it for two years, then a few weeks before the "test only" is due, swap back in your old motor and pass with flying colors.

the beauty of swapping your old motor in for smog is that it gives you the perfect opportunity to replace and questionable items on your jdm motor....water pump etc etc....because how often do we perform maintenance of that sort on our engines, unless it breaks....

every two years and that motor will long outlast your interest in imports....

damn....my english skillz are horrible today from re-reading that post......

eye right sew ewe kan reed.

i don't think i have the means to always be pulling the engine out.

besides, the stock motor i have is screwed... i have no compression in one of the cylinders. it's due for smog right now... if i decide to take it off non op status.

argh. :angry: <_<

Back